Guitar Immortals

Torneyboy

TB,

I dont know what freakin criteria these clowns at RS used, but this is my criteria : what do they sound like LIVE ?

Based on that, I urge you to tear yourselves away from your Kylie collections and take the following albums for a spin (in any order) :

1. Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

2. Ted Nugent - Full Frontal Nuggity (Live 2000)

3. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Live '75-85

4. Van Halen Live (Right Here, Right Now)

There are probably several others, but the thing I like about these albums is that many tunes which are fairly 'ordinary' in the studio come to life onstage, and the guitar sound of the bands involved is a major part of that. I like some of Satriani's stuff, but I've never heard him live.

In terms of underrated guitarists, and people I'd rather listen to, its hard to go past people like Rory Gallagher. Didnt see any references to Ritchie Blackmore in this thread, either, but he seems to have faded from the public consciousness - every bit as good as many of his contemporaries, IMO.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Says artiew:
TB,

I dont know what freakin criteria these clowns at RS used, but this is my criteria : what do they sound like LIVE ?

Based on that, I urge you to tear yourselves away from your Kylie collections and take the following albums for a spin (in any order) :

1. Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

2. Ted Nugent - Full Frontal Nuggity (Live 2000)

3. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Live '75-85

4. Van Halen Live (Right Here, Right Now)

There are probably several others, but the thing I like about these albums is that many tunes which are fairly 'ordinary' in the studio come to life onstage, and the guitar sound of the bands involved is a major part of that. I like some of Satriani's stuff, but I've never heard him live.

In terms of underrated guitarists, and people I'd rather listen to, its hard to go past people like Rory Gallagher. Didnt see any references to Ritchie Blackmore in this thread, either, but he seems to have faded from the public consciousness - every bit as good as many of his contemporaries, IMO. [/quote

Hi artiew

Albums 1.3 and 4 i have heard ...and are great.

Maybe RS should just have said ''a list of top guitarists ''and put in alphabetical order...still guys saying some are missing i guess.

Says walletss:

Have you checked out Luther Allison? To my mind he was under rated. His voice matches his bluesy soulful playing.

No will have a look.

BB King and Chuck Berry are on the list ..blues guitarists

See the size of BB kings hands ...no wonder he can hold some of those chordes ..his little finger on a chord like f7 can go two more frets than i could...amazing sound.

Says walletss:

" BB King and Chuck Berry are on the list ..blues guitarists"

What about Mick Taylor former Stones guitarist. The Stones music peaked when he was with the band. Actually I have seen The Stones play live with Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood.

Yes another for the list.

I have seen them live 3 times the Voodoo tour was fantastic.

saw them all (originals ) brian and Bill Way wayt back as a boy. Last track was Satisfaction Mick had just( started playing ) guitar and he droped the red Fender and all ran off stage ....AUD 700 back then my sister has a box full or streamers that the band had touched that night.

Great live performers.

Says walletss:

" BB King and Chuck Berry are on the list ..blues guitarists"

There are some players that can send chills down your spine.

How about Albert Collins? Great blues player and original licks

Yeah the blues ,would love to go to New Orleans Bourbon Street..i am told many "unknown"" bands that are just fantastic.

The Stones started with a strong blues background and many early hits reflect this,

BB King was a guest for a stones concert a few years back may have been the Vodoo tour in US cant remember the song he and Mick did but was great and went one forever. :up:

i remember visiting Bourbon Street many years ago whilst passing through NO.

hooked up with a couple of US Marines just about to go to Iraq for the 1st war.

they took me to a bar and i saw a group who while not world famous then and now,have a fan base.

The Walter Trout Band were on the bill that day and i have been a fan ever since.

i love Chuck Berry,but these days is a real con in concert.

the last 3-4 times i saw him he just conned the audience,performances got shorter and shorter and no good and received a lot of boos.

the last time i saw him i paid 20GBP and he sang 9 songs and that was it,no more for the fans.

the Stones were similar to Led Zep in the early days.

they both adapted old Blues songs to suit their own style.

the difference being that Led Zep took many years to admit the influences.

Archived