Sukhothai - any thoughts?

Stickman

Myself and a fellow board member are planning a trip up to Sukhothai next month and we are looking for any general observations, recomendations or any other information about the area. We'll be travelling by car and hope to spend a few days in the area. What other sites in that vicinity are interesting? I know from the LP that there is another historical park some 50 odd km north of Sukhothai whch also sounds very interesting. What about Kamphaeng Pet - is that worth a trip?

The whole idea of the trip is to see a part of Thailand that we haven't seen before and nightlife is of no interest to us whatsoever.

Stick

Hi,

Just recently I went to Sukhothai with my girlfriend on the back of a motorbike.

The town seemed quite dusty, and the rods poorly paved for such a place of historical grandeur. The temples were beautiful, much more than what Ayutthaya has to offer. Fortunately the entrance fee was only 40 baht for farang, and 10 for thais. I consider this to be ok, and not over the top.

Cant say much about housing there, as we had to escape a thunderstorm, so we didnt get to see that much of Sukhothai.

We did go to another place, which was about 50 kms from Sukhothai. I dont remember the name of the temple grounds, other than it is a historical park. This place is quite beautiful and has a special atmosphere to it. Maybe this is partly because we were to only visitors that humid day. If you go to Sukhothi, make sure to check this place aswell. there are some enormous stairways leading up to huge Buddha statues.

Can only recommend it.

Greetings,

PC

Ps: just came up with the name of the park, its Si Satchanalai Historical Park.

Guest lazyphil

Sukhothai is a nice place to spend time. Was there five years ago and cant remember where I stayed but I thought it much nicer than Ayutaya. More tranquil. Was travelling with two Australian girls who I couldn't get away from and besides I hadn't yet discovered sanuk then, so I'm no help on that front even though you're not interested in it :grinyes:

Sukhothai and Kampaeng phet are both well worth a bit of time, no good hotels in Sukothai tho', Try the Phitsanulok Thani in (you guessed it) Phitsanulok (ph 055 21106569. A couple of weeks ago they had a special about 400 baht a night, great hotel ! Some good floating restaurants on the river at Phits.

>I know from the LP that there is another historical park some 50 odd km north of Sukhothai whch also sounds very interesting. <

I went there in Jan or Feb last year with 'Nok'. I think it is certainly worth visiting, less crowded than Sukhothai, and some interesting structures.

I also enjoyed my stay in Pithsanulok, pleasant little town on the river. Nice museum.

Si satchanalai is the place north of Sukhotai. Some beautiful temples there, and the ruins have atmosphere, by the river (with a suspended bridge, if it is still there) and the ruins can be seen from atop a hill too. As you have a car, staying in Phitsanuloke is fine, about 60kms from New Sukhotai and 75 from the old capital (old Sukhotai, where you can find good accom too). IMO, about time you visit the capital that gave Thailand a never equaled renown in the world of Arts and the History of Asia/SEA. Go early in the morning (stay in OLD S. then), so you can have the place for yourself as the morning sun rises. Both sites, S and Si left me a more memorable imprseeion that Kamphang pet, but that's me only.

I always had fond memories of Phitsanuloke, it's one of these places in Thailand that catches your fancy, though you can hardly pin-point why. A combination of the place, the river eats, the temples and mostly the people, quite friendly. Plenty of stuff to visit, old agricultural museum, a Buddha foundry next to ti, and that majestic Phra JINARAT in Wat Yai (Mahatat), second most revered Bhudda image in thailand, dating fron the early 15th c., pure Sukhotai. Even the copy in BKK's wat benjamabopit does not have its refinement and power..... The road from Tak to Mae Sot is absolutely gorgeous, winding between huge hillrocks and forest vistas. Well, I could go on and on, i guess :)....

Archived