Tilak/Tiruk/... Good thing?

TokBet

[color:"red"] I know what the word means, but it seems that it is freely used by Bar girls and therefore seems insincere.

[/color]

First, may I insist that the word is "TiRak" with an "R" sound. If it is changed to "L", it can means "LucK" = "steal" or a thing to be "stolen", perhaps that is the intent? :neener:

I was in Thammasart during the Vietnam war and the first time I heard it used by a BG, I thought she meant "husband" and my fiance told me that it meant "paid customer" or a "John", leave it to a foreigner to explain Thai to a Thai born! :o

"TiRak" is actually a good word to call a beloved but none of my friends whose husbands are Thais uses it. Having said that, I heard my silly brother called his wife "TiRak" when he wanted to make a point. What point can it be, it varies. I asked him once on a particular incident, he said he justed wanted to remind her that she was loved but the behaviour (at that incident) was not approved. :angel:

I also noticed that he called me "Pii Tirak" or our mother "Mae TiRak" when he wants to stress something, one of these days, I will stress my "TiRak" feeling by smacking him once on his head!! :)

IMO, it is a slang that has been used by sex workers and the context has been changed to mean customer or a nighftfling.

I think a regular Thai woman nowadays uses terms of endearment more freely than my time and perhaps it is used more with foreigners for the context seemed to have universal meaning and I hope, in a positive way, that it means "beloved".

My mother told me that in her times women were supposed to be discreet and they normally didn't call lovers/husbands by terms of endearment, my mother used to call my father "the father of my child", I wonder what she called him before they had a child? ::

Anyway, I think it is a good word but leave it to some people who can turn any word around to off the wall context. What do you think Fly-on-ze-wall? :neener:

Jasmine :devil:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, I knew that you would be a good source of information.

I have almost always seen it spelled and pronounced 'tilak', but maybe that's the way we farangs hear it. Actually, a Thai woman is now sending me SMSs using the word 'tiruk', as you explained.

Cheers.

>>>Anyway, I think it is a good word but leave it to some people who can turn any word around to off the wall context. What do you think Fly-on-ze-wall? <<<

dunno about that "tirak" business, the missus only calls me "ei ooan", "ei gae", or if she's in an especially good mood she calls me "ei hia" (not the one meaning "boss"...).

as a special treat she never forgets pointing out where my forhead gets a bit higher, pointing out the spots and attaching the thai names for the particular forms of baldness.

...she must really love me. ::

[color:"red"] as a special treat she never forgets pointing out where my forhead gets a bit higher, pointing out the spots and attaching the thai names for the particular forms of baldness.

...she must really love me.

[/color]

I love men who know their places!!! :D:hug: :hug: :bow:

Jasmine :devil:

Hi Flyw,

oooh, I know exactly what you are talking about, only in my case you will have to subsistute the "Ai" with "Bak": Bak Haeng, Bak Hua Daeng, Bak Gae (heard that one too) Bak Hiaow or just an affectionate Bak Haa Nee. I am sure she is dying to call me Bak Hua Laan too! .. just give i some more time ::

This is love for sure!

Cheers

Hua Nguu

You guys spend so much time in the sex scene that you can't even tell anymore what words are used by normal people... There's absolutely nothing wrong with the word Tiruk, which I would spell /thee rak/, ie. 'loved one'.

Say when her name is 'Dao' and when feeling particularly flowery you could even call her like like /nong Dao thee rak jaaaaaa+/ which is overdoing it a bit but definitely sweeettt language. :) This may be so over the top that it sounds insincere for that reason, but then that's fun too.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Archived