String Bracelet - any meaning?

Hi all,

Went to LOS (BKK and Pattaya) in April this year for the first time, and after 2 weeks of sanuk, fell in love with the place ::

The first week I butterflyed with a different girl each day (from NP and SC), but the last week I stayed with a girl I met in Pattaya.

The night before I left, she tied a piece of string around my right wrist and told me not to take it off, its still there. I was mao maak at the time :drunk: so didn't ask about it (that i remember). She calls occasionally, but her english ain't good enough to ask her about it.

Can anyone tell me if it has a meaning?

Cheers :beer:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi P

The string bracelet is usually give by a monk at a temple.

I was given one last year..my wife said it is for good luck.

So i would say your GF has give one she had at home and gave to you for good luck and also to remember her by.

The monk didn''t give to everyone so i guess only falang..lucky

>she tied a piece of string around my right wrist and told me not to take it off, its still there.

I had that.

If I remember correctly, the strings were given to my gf by her mother on mothers' day and the meaning of giving one to me was to share her mother's blessings. Can't remember whether monks had anything to do with that.

If you take it off, she'll notice that on your next visit. The rules are - you untied it, not cut it or you had somone older (considerably) than you who took it off of your wrist. At least, tell her that.

I could not really afford to display piece of string poking under my white shirt at work...so, used up 9 hours on the plane on my way back to untie it...

Last moth, I asked her to take hers off...it was looking awkward with school uniform. The way she did it - she asked an old lady working in the building to do that for her.

I had that.

If I remember correctly, the strings were given to my gf by her mother on mothers' day and the meaning of giving one to me was to share her mother's blessings. Can't remember whether monks had anything to do with that.

Hi TTM

My wife just told me at many weddings the couples are given these by many guests..so they end up with 10 or more on their arms..for good luck and happiness.

Take off after 3 days.

Last year, i had a couple on each wrists, stayed tied until the next trip, that's many months.

This year, I had so many, coming from the GF's village, it was ridiculous, plus everyone after thought i had gotten married. Anyway, without getting into details, my luck did not improve as far as this trip. Got tired of it, Just took a scissor and cut them off.

To my knowledge, after 3 days, is ok to remove. Bad luck to do so before.

And is given by a monk. If given by a bargirl, does not have the same spiritual meaning, and can be removed anytime. IMO, a cheap ploy to make you feel 'special'. I've had a couple of B/G's give me Buddah necklaces, which is fine, but would be leery of one trying to emulate her role, as a monk.

PS....could be wrong about this, though. I have limited knowledge concerning this.

HT

Hi,

Gf and me also have them, a little white string of cotton.

We got them at a Wat, she put mine on, I did hers.

Its for good luck and protection, did that august last year, we both still have it on as well, and we are both not buddhists at all, just cannot hurt to have some extra little protection :)

Cheers !

Says HIGH THAIED:

And is given by a monk. If given by a bargirl, does not have the same spiritual meaning, and can be removed anytime. IMO, a cheap ploy to make you feel 'special'. I've had a couple of B/G's give me Buddah necklaces, which is fine, but would be leery of one trying to emulate her role, as a monk.

PS....could be wrong about this, though. I have limited knowledge concerning this.

HT

Dude have some salt with that cynicism. Everything a BG does is not a "cheap ploy" or designed to shake more baht out of you. A girl that gives you a string bracelet as good luck might actually want you to have good luck. The same with buying you flowers or some other inexpensive gift, they do it because they may genuinely like you as a person.

Heck there was one BG I remember that had a crush on me but I completely ignored her because she had a bad attitude. My last night before my flight out the other girls gave me flowers and she made gave me hand motions that demonstrated a plane crashing, no cheap ploy on her part. At least she gave me a wai after wishing bad luck upon me!

Archived