String Bracelet - any meaning?

Hahahaha

:grinyes:

HEY........I'm only saying "be carefull out there". There might be some 'newbies' out there who now believe they are 'married', and have found their true love in life, all due to a 10 satang piece of string. ::

HT

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>>>Uh... What would be an expensive ploy to make one feel special? <<<

"Buy me new wardrobe, so I can look good for you, every night".

"Buy me new house, so you have place to stay, when you come".

Are you kidding? The list is endless.

neener: HT.

My gf and I did the same. She got them at a Wat and for her they were 'special'. Before I left she said I could take it off, but the look in her eyes didn't agree.

Now my cynical side says it may also warn other tgs to stay clear of you. You are already spoken for. (Better than the hickies one ex used to use as markers :doah: )

I once had a bar girl girlfriend who wore a string bracelet. She told me, and I've read information elsewhere that confirms this, that it was made of woven strands of cotton and encased a paper Buddha image which had been blessed by a prominent monk.

On closer inspection there was a section (not the knot) which was wider and concurred with a slip of paper being included in the weave.

I have some knowledge of Thai boxing. The fighters wear what is known as a Kruang Ruang or "Ring of Charms" around their bicep when they compete, and it is common practice for this to contain an amulet or image.

I think that this may be similar to the string bracelet.

cheers

I could be wrong though.

Says HIGH THAIED:

Hahahaha

:grinyes:

HEY........I'm only saying "be carefull out there". There might be some 'newbies' out there who now believe they are 'married', and have found their true love in life, all due to a 10 satang piece of string. ::

HT

:eek: errrr not me, I'm the last person who would want to settle down with 1 bird. Shes a nice girl, and I do like her, but theres far too many others to just stay with 1 this early on in my sanuk career. :hubba:

Plus my ex farang gf hates seeing me wear it :grinyes:

Hopefully going to LOS end Oct for a month, so will leave it on in case I decide to go to see her again this trip.

Cheers lads :beer:

Hello,

OK guys, those strings are actually (normally) from well wishers, normally from older people, parents and such. Monks normally, do not tie those strings (they cannot touch the women anyhow, but who knows, some monks try to accomodate anything!). Please be aware that I do NOT respect all monks. One Thai monk got kicked out of the monkhood recently here for "accommodating". ::

Again, have you noticed that everything the Thais do is for "good luck"? Perhaps, it shuts off a reasonable explanation? Why do you think Thais need "good luck" more than other nationalities? ::

It is more of a culture to wish a person good life and extra "protection" from bad things and many times, it means "welcome to our homes", that is all. You can cut the strings off any time and no bad luck will come your way because of cutting them.

For HT, coming from a BG or older person, it does not matter, it just a wish, good wish (most likely) at that. It is just that some Western people can feel so special just for someone wish them good luck, so let them feel special, a little ego boosters, that is all.

It is not Buddhism, it is a culture. Strings are used in many other forms such as for prayers to protect a property, blessings lands and houses, protect ones from ghosts and so on, endless list, actually.

Cheers! :)

Archived