Time to carry your passport?

Flashermac

I agree with torrenova. I think I would rather have a Thai police catch me with a photo copy passport than have my passport get stolen. Which one do you think is a bigger nighmare? I know the right answer for myself. Thai police know we don't carry the orginal on us. At the risk of being too bold, They know we want to make sure we are able to have our fun and get the fuck out their country and get back on the plane and go back home.

Rug

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always use my Thai drivers licence for an ID everywhere as well, banks,domestic flights and showing to cops when I have had to,

I can not see that it will be a problem to continue to do this as its considered an offical form of ID.

I certainly would not want to be carrying my passport around with me everywhere I go,

I really think that a courteous answering of questions by the cops should avoid any complications, while not carrying one's passport. I hardly can see a cop, even APEC-briefed, wanting to brave BKK traffic just to verify this nice tourist has a passport in his hotel safe. Too keekiat (lazy), IMO.... TIT is not going to stop because GW comes to town. A powerful man, but not that powerful ;)!

[color:"blue"]I hardly can see a cop, even APEC-briefed, wanting to brave BKK traffic just to verify this nice tourist has a passport in his hotel safe. [/color]

Wouldn't bet on that one. Especially if you fit their profile list.

I've had them go back to hotel to verify mine, and check the hotel registry, during one of the 'crackdowns'.

Besides wouldn't he rather spend an hour or 2 with a nice farang, go to an air-con hotel away from the supervisors watchful eyes, then stand in the pollution and heat of a Bkk sidewalk ? Even the possibility of a small 'thank you for ensuring my safety' gift from the greatful farang. :grinyes:

another thing is what do you guys get away with using as ID as proff of age at night sports? lately I was asked at various pubs/clubs to produce ID(stating I was 20++) & even I got away with just saying I was too old at the club kaosan they insisted at thonglor21 & thus my drivers license stating my DOB workd just fine & I guess it works as generel ID as well... :dunno:

not that I feel I look young enough to asked to prove I'm 20+, but hey I guess law enforcement is definitely on the up!

Says LaoHuLi:

[color:"blue"]I hardly can see a cop, even APEC-briefed, wanting to brave BKK traffic just to verify this nice tourist has a passport in his hotel safe.
[/color]

Wouldn't bet on that one. Especially if you fit their profile list.

Yeah but there are thousands who "fit their profile list". You'd be bloody unlucky to be the one who was pulled. Now if I was an arab or some other dubious looking character then...........

Archived