Time to carry your passport?

Flashermac

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. Lately when the govnmt's stern words against foreigners have been uttered, and questions asked, they usually say the meant nigerians and various muslim middle-east nationalities. I think the divide between dubious foreigners (as concerns possible terrorism) and us farangs is well established in their eyes. IMO

before I leave I ALWAYS go and make a photocopy of the information page of my passport and my drivers licence.

Same same, here. Personally I scan my passport, travel ins, plane tickets and upload them to my Yahoo Briefcase, from where I could reprint whatever was necessary. Provided you remember the password, and have a small amount of local currency, this will help you get out of the shit pretty much anywhere in the world. A list containing credit card loss numbers, driving licence details, your embassy/consulate's details, airline contacts etc also helps.

:devil::beer::devil:

I Often see bin laden shirts for sale, though I have never seen anyone wearing one. Truth be told, usually right next to a stack of bin laden shirts is another stack with george bush on them. I mainly notice thai's wearing t-shirts with big swastika's, LOL.

I do have to wonder if the bin laden shirts will be removed for apec especially as they are sold in such visible places. Seems a lot more shocking than a docile homeless person.

Says OCgringo:

before I leave I ALWAYS go and make a photocopy of the information page of my passport and my drivers licence.

I put one in each of my bags and one in my carryon

Probably a copy of the page with your visa stamp would not be a bad idea too.

If you do have a copy of the passport, you MUST have the page with your entry stamp on it to be useful.

Just having a copy of the photo page of your passport or your Thai drivers licence does not mean you are legally in the country at that point in time which is one of the things they are looking for.

Coming out of Gullivers last Friday I saw cops checking the passports of a white couple and an African man.

Copiers ready guys.

Says pattaya127:

I really think that a courteous answering of questions by the cops should avoid any complications, while not carrying one's passport. I hardly can see a cop, even APEC-briefed, wanting to brave BKK traffic just to verify this nice tourist has a passport in his hotel safe. Too keekiat (lazy), IMO.... TIT is not going to stop because GW comes to town. A powerful man, but not that powerful
;)
!

Guys, I wouldn't screw around during APEC. Carry your ID.

Last month when I was in BKK I was actually pulled over in a taxi(nowhere near farang nightlife venues) by the Boys in Brown and I had no ID.

Thanks to their lack of English and my refusal to speak Thai(thank goodness the taxi driver who I was telling me dirty jokes in Thai didn't rat me out), along with my incessant babbling of "American! American!" They actually got frustrated enough to let me go.

I have never been stopped and questioned before by BKK's finest so it was quite shocking to me to be stopped by police at 3am alone in a taxi.

Next month I will be carrying my passport while in BKK.

Archived