Time to carry your passport?

Flashermac

As a suggestion to all, I got tired of carrying full-sized photocopies of my passport. So, I copied the main page and visa page of my passport, _reducing_ the size of copy to about 3"x2 1/2", then placing the two pages back-to-back, had them sealed in plastic. Now, these copies will never get wet in the rain and easily fit in my pocket. I carry the passport copy and both of my Thai driver's licenses...but have never been stopped by the police...

you wrote:

..."If you do have a copy of the passport, you MUST have the page with your entry stamp on it to be useful.

Just having a copy of the photo page of your passport or your Thai drivers licence does not mean you are legally in the country...."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get tired of toting wet papers in my pocket also. I will try your suggestion next time. If I can find a place to reduce the visa stamp page (easy I think) and then get it sealed (no idea where). Can't be too difficult as every one that shows me photos of loved ones are all sealed in plastic.

You could try THIS for a laugh:

Step 1. Obtain some sort of faux passport. A fake one, or something that looks about like a passport, or even use one of you rold outdated passports if you don't care about saving it.

Step 2. Put it through the washer X number of times, until it looks really pitiful.

Step 3. Whip it out for the cop who wants to see it. Watch his expression as he realizes (thinks) THIS is your passport. Act too drunk to undersatnd there might be a problem.

Fun galore. Don't call me for bail money, though.

I have a friend-someone I have known for about three years that is "associated" with(in a big way)

the anti-terrorist task force. He knows I am going to be back in the states for Oct until mid November(too much rain) and commented in Thai it is

a good time to be away as they will be BLANKETING

NANA(especially soi 3)-SC-LUMPINI-SUKHMVHIT-MAJOR HOTEL AREAS-BUS TERMINALS EMPORIUM KEEPING AN EYE OUT FOR BAD GUYS.-checking ID etc etc

This is not a bad thing IMHO.

Mod Is this OK?Hope so Statement of facts...

I carry a copy of my passport,visa stamp and his biz card.

Not an expert on Thai immigration law, but strongly suspect the legal requirement is carry the actual passport. If you are going to carry a copy instead, besides the identity page and the page with your entry stamp, also make a copy of the white card, they stapled into your passport. I'd make sure to have another photo ID consistent with the passport (Aussie passport/Aussie driver's license). May be sufficient if the cop is being practical rather than officious or avaricous. Have to think about what I'll do when I'm there in 33 days. ::

Just a note to all who will be in the area during the APEC.

TAKE THE SECURITY SERIOUSLY

The guys involved in enforcement do not have the time, attitude or demenour to play games. If they consider you a risk in ANY way, shape or form, you will be treated like the most wanted terroist on the planet. NO SHIT. And you won't get an apology afterwards...they are doing their job.

Most likely the bars in the area will be closed anyway, so unless you have to be there........go somewhere else. Applies to the whole city, but in particular airports, bus and train depots, skytrains, entertainment areas etc. And don't expect that looking like a white tourist will exempt you .... hell of disguise for a terrorist. :cussing:

If you must go, carry your passport and at least one other picure ID, and if questioned, be polite and cooperative. Very polite. Don't make comments on gov't policies, social injustices or what you perceive your 'rights' are. You don't have any.

I realize that the vast majority of you are level headed guys, out for a good time, but for a few..... don't carry any of the smart guy attitude around during this period. Go sanuk elsewhere. None of us want to read any horror stories here in a few weeks.

.........Be careful out there..............

Hey there, enough with the scary shit warnings. Do you think the rest of us live in the fucking jungle or what ?

A little bit of overkill me thinks "If you must go, carry your passport and at least one other picure ID, and if questioned, be polite and cooperative. Very polite. Don't make comments on gov't policies, social injustices or what you perceive your 'rights' are. You don't have any."

Don't take your passport, enough said already on the daft bastards who do / will. Photocopy etc. safer way to go, whatever the "rules" are.

Chill out a bit man, sure there will be some extra security, lots even, but many people here live in big cities, with lots of scary shit going on every day and plenty police etc. as normal. Now if you live in a mud hut on an island.....

Archived