Time to carry your passport?

Flashermac

Just thought I would give a little report. I spent three days in Lower Sukumvit. Went to all the major nightlife areas except Patpong. The US Embassy,skytrain ,and cruised the river.

Went to our house upcountry for a few days both Southern and Nothern Bus stations. Due to the recent mass hysteria I did carry my passport with me. I was never looked at twice by any police or did I see an unusual amount.

Granted things may get a little tighter during APEC but I didn't have any problems this past week.

LL

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I, too, had no problems over the weekend, and I still saw a lot of tasty morsels on the strett on lower Sukhumvit.

One thing, though: It was my first time in the Beer Garden on Soi 7 for a couple of months or so. I was both pleased and saddened to observe they now have a couple of security guards wandering around keeping an eye on the crowd.

> If all you have is your photocopy, but the police aren't happy with that

For you guys getting caught up in the hysteria and only want to carry photocopies of passports, I heard you can get your photocopy authorized with an immigration stamp for 300B? Never bothered myself, and won?t but I have done similar in some third world countries. I haven?t been stopped at all here, and don?t expect to, but have a small paper copy of my pp in my wallet just in case having read on the stuff on boards like this. I wouldn?t have even bothered with that otherwise.

I haven't bothered either, but that leaves open the question of whether the cop believes the real stamp is still valid. The photocopy will tell him it was valid at the time of certification, but there are circumstances under which it could have become invalid since then.

Archived