TGs ordering food for you?

maxal

Hi,

On many occasions, I've had TGs order my food with the restaurants or street vendors. I'm wise enough not to get scammed for excessively priced food (at the restaurants) but I've noticed TGs taking over the food ordering. They place the order with such confidence and apparent force of habit- like its customary. Sometimes, they don't ask me what I want or prefer yet I make a polite effort to tell them beforehand. Of course, I ask what she want's to eat too. Usually, they hear my requests. The rest of the time, I inadvertantly add to the order and we have too much food. With only one exception, everything I've eaten was delicious but I hate wasting food no matter how cheap the price. I definitely understand a TG having her meal preferences but why impose them on me without asking?

I'm a bit confused and sometimes frustrated by this behavior, especially when I'm flipping the bill. Is it part of Thai culture for the woman to order the food or is it their way to introduce me to new foods?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

My wife always orders for us as well (in Thai restaurants), but of course our situation is a bit different. She knows what I like and I prefer her to do the ordering. This way I know that we will get a bunch of dishes that compliment each other, rather than just a jumble of dishes.

Thinking about it though, even when there are Thai men around it is still usually the women that do the ordering. Do not have an explanation.

Sanuk!

For all the years I know my gf it was always her that ordered the food. She knows what I like and we never had any food that I didn?t like. When being outside of Thailand it?s a different story. She expects me to order what she likes. I never thought about this to be a cultural thing but rather a convenient method ?cause I don?t speak Thai.

Makes sense to me, as long as the girl knows what I like (anything!) or what the person/people she is ordering for like. For example when my mum made her trip, with my grandmother. My mum can't eat fish, and granny can't eat eggs. The friends we were staying with knew this though and there were no worries.

Obviously the current gf knows what I like, and in the past the other one knew what I liked too. If they didn't, they always asked first.

KS, as far as the women ordering for their Thai men, I would assume traditionally the wives would take care of the food in the home, so presumably at the restaurant/foodstall too.

Before I met my wife the TGs I went with would usually order for me after asking the standard questions regarding how much chili I could handle. When my wife and I were living in Thailand she would order for both of us after asking me what I wanted. She never ordered without consulting with me first as I guess she figured after almost a year in Thailand I should have at least a slight clue about Thai food.

The last time we went back for a visit we both ordered. She'd chose one dish then me and back to her and so on.

I've never really noticed a precedent where women always order. Among my wife's family it is always the socially dominant person who seems to order, male or female. I could go down the list of relatives and would probably find almost as many males who do the ordering for their group as females.

Maybe it's just her family and my circle of Thai friends? :dunno:

Says khunsanuk:

Hi,

She knows what I like and I prefer her to do the ordering. This way I know that we will get a bunch of dishes that compliment each other, rather than just a jumble of dishes.

They are much better at getting complimentary dishes and ones that traditionally go together. My GF wouldn't want me to do the Thai equivalent of say ordering pizza with a side of sauerkraut.

The first few years were difficult tho. SHe would order and I would add something I like and we end up with too much food. Next time we ate she would add the item I asked for the time before. If we ate a dish I really found excellent, she would also add that. Everytime! The list was really getting long until we straightened that out.

My son, GF, and I had finished out vist at Ayuttaya and walked down to the large group of food stalls. Didn't appear GF was gettting anything other than dried fish. Son and I sat down and ordered some chicken legs. GF sat down with us. A few minutes later all these dishes from many stalls were being delivered to us. I had not even heard her order. We had a mountain of food in no time. Some was wated, but that never seems to be an issue in LOS that I have noticed.

[color:"blue"]They are much better at getting complimentary dishes and ones that traditionally go together. My GF wouldn't want me to do the Thai equivalent of say ordering pizza with a side of sauerkraut.

[/color]

How about Tom Yung Gung with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. :banghead:

One of my GF's favourites. Not all have that sense of balance. :doah:

She's not too bad at the restaurants, other than as you say, ordering every favourite dish she ever saw you eat, but the combinations that arrive when she orders in are bizarre to say the least. And that is for breafast. :rolleyes:

And as you point out, letting them loose in a food court or vendor stalls can verge on a herculian feast. But that's part of the charm of it all, right? :beer:

Says LaoHuLi:

[color:"blue"]And as you point out, letting them loose in a food court or vendor stalls can verge on a herculian feast. But that's part of the charm of it all, right?
:beer:

[/color]

For sure! I wasn't complaining, only an observation!

[color:"red"]

One of my GF's favourites. Not all have that sense of balance
[/color]

My GF certainly did not have that balance when here in the states. EVERYWHERE we went she would try to order clam chowder (I just LOVE hearing her pronounce that!). Even in the Thai restaurants. She tried some in Seattle and then got on a binge for it! We ate seafood every day in Seattle, and she had it each meal. She assumed every restaurant in USA had it. She tried to order it in a San Diego taco shop!

When she left for home I snuck a few cans of good quality chowder into her bag. She called as soon as she got home. She was very angry. She did not have a can opener and made a mess trying to open a can with a cleaver! I told her there was a small opener in my backpack upsatirs. All was well then, as she could feed the chowder monkey on her back. :beer:

[/color] She assumed every restaurant in USA had it. She tried to order it in a San Diego taco shop!
[/color] LOL, I can just see it... you guys enter a Roberto's taco shop down in PB and she asks for clam chowder. Classic, I love it!

BTW, how long did she stay before you sent her back home Rovineye? If you don't mind me asking.

[color:"blue"] She assumed every restaurant in USA had it. [/color]

This also seems to be a very Thai thing.

I guess that a lot of restaurants in LOS don't really have set menus, and they presume that every restaurant has everything they want to order.

Even the upper class Thais that came to my hotel in Kunming presumed they could order anything they ever ate in Bkk. Then complain because it wasn't quite 'right'. :banghead:

Some Thais must have a hard time in Thai restaurants in the States. Although I have had some great Thai food there as well.

It seems that we are both lucky and have girls that will try things outside the dishes mama cooked them. Adventurous, one could say......but then that may be why they were willing to try a 'farang'. :grinyes::beer:

IMO One can tell a lot about a person by their eating habits, so always take them for dinner first guys. :neener:

Clam chowder eh? Good one. :rolleyes:

Archived