Fland to LOS phone service down?

pattaya127

YESYESYESYES!

The last few weeks have been the worst! I was going to mention that to OH in the thread but he seemed to know it was hangups.

Last night was the first time in a while it was clear and no connection problems! The night before I had to call back a half dozen times to get 20 minutes of conversation.

Hers is cell phone in Chiang Mai, I am on land line using Siam Chat card.

OK, this may not be totally relevent but this time of year and at the spring equinox as well, some the communication satellites transit the sun on a daily basis and RF interference can be bitch. So if you are trying to do a call that is satelite routed, expect shitty, if any reception at times. At my remote sites, we often lose all comminications including satelite reception for up to 2 hours a day, the rest of the day is just poor reception. Should clear in about a week.

Nothing to do with local cell thoughs....just us overseas fellas.

Says LaoHuLi:

OK, this may not be totally relevent but this time of year and at the spring equinox as well, some the communication satellites transit the sun on a daily basis and RF interference can be bitch.

Yes that is true. But aren't all these cheap calling cards routed thru the internet, making all that irrelevant? :dunno:

But aren't all these cheap calling cards routed thru the internet, making all that irrelevant?

Not to my knowkedge, but I'm no expert on VOIP. The chap I know in Hawaii buys huge blocks of call time from the BIG providers and then repackages the calling time into phone cards, each designed for a specific market. So in the end you use the same main communications means as the next guy. The screw ups come in the local routing systems in place. My brother does this stuff internationally (he was the project manager for the Korean system upgrades a few years ago, hope it works good) He was supposed to go to LOS for 2 years to do a big job there, but it was cancelled by the new gov't. :banghead:

Guess we need one of our finest geeks to help us with this one. (Shall we lay a trail of Twinkies? :cover:)

I only make that assumption from a Rama calling card I had last year. One night it wouldn't work. I called the help number and a delicious soundinh Thai lady (somewhere in the states) told me the Thai internet was down but is should only be for a short time. About a half hour later it was back up again.

There are also sights that rate calling cards, that include sound quality and frequency of disconnects. Sounds like voice over IP to me, but not my field either.

Hmmmm, no twinkie graemlin.

Archived