Who will win the 2003 RUGBY WORLD CUP ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - its about ten days away, but I'm already jumping out of my socks with sheer excitement ! Yes, I need to get out more, but lets have some feedback on this one.

For the record, I ordered the poll entries based on the odds given at this site :

http://www.rugby-world-cup-odds.com/rugby-world-cup/mode/f&card=cc8709x&odds=8113x&sid=7313

If I've left out someone's fave team, I apologise, but Canada are 2500-1, and I didnt think most people would mind from there on. I have included the USA and Uruguay just to show that I am willing to consider a couple of rank outsiders :grinyes:

OK - its about ten days away, but I'm already jumping out of my socks with sheer excitement ! Yes, I need to get out more, but lets have some feedback on this one.

For the record, I ordered the poll entries based on the odds given at this site :

http://www.rugby-world-cup-odds.com/rugby-world-cup/mode/f&card=cc8709x&odds=8113x&sid=7313

If I've left out someone's fave team, I apologise, but Canada are 2500-1, and I didnt think most people would mind from there on. I have included the USA and Uruguay just to show that I am willing to consider a couple of rank outsiders :grinyes:

A few months ago I would have voted "they have a world cup for rugby", or even more likely, would not have opened the poll at all. But as it happens I spent a few weeks in Rugby England and MANY hours in the pubs.

The word on the street was that England is sunk after losses to France and Australia (if memory serves me right).

I have quite a few Australian friends from my dart tournament days (nice guys), and never have had a French friend (except my Thai translator). So I voted Australian!

have quite a few Australian friends from my dart tournament days (nice guys), and never have had a French friend (except my Thai translator). So I voted Australian!

Thanks, Rovineye - we'll need all the help we can get. For mine, England remain the team to beat, particularly in terms of their superb kicking game. Rugby rewards teams with precision kickers, and England excels in this department. Add a very strong forward pack, a fast and intelligent backline and you've got a dream team ...

England World Cup Squad

I suspect that the odds for NZ are as much about the fanatical following the team has as the actual likelihood of them winning the World Cup. I believe the Wallabies, playing to their full potential, can match any team in the world, but England remain a tougher potential opponent than the All Black, IMO.

Thanks, Fidel - I appreciate your optimism, but I doubt that the Wallabies are living in too much fear of the Shamrock. Perhaps that's Ireland's secret weapon - the element of surprise - but whoever put your rankings together simply hasnt factored in home ground advantage.

The other aspect which I believe will be interesting is how well Northern Hemisphere teams handle the heat in October/November, particularly those poor buggers scheduled to play in Townsville (Japan have 3 of their 4 qualifying games up there !) and BrisVegas. Oz is a prick of a place at this time of year - it can be absolutely freezing in Melbourne and Canberra, even in October, and 35 deg plus in the North - thats going to be tough on any team. Even Sydney will be bloody hot by the time the final rolls around in late November. Sure, they play at night, but have you ever had a game of touch footy on the beach in summer ? I guess thats what separates the pros from those of us who start holding our chests and gasping 15 minutes in :grinyes:

Whatever the case, we'll both find out on Saturday, 1st November when both teams meet at the Telstra Dome in Melbourne. Go the Wallabies !

Archived