kru ajarn

I ahev noticed whilst reading the comments on the board ,that there are 1or 2 teachers on it,and quite a few who are considering teaching in LOS(myself icluded).

I know that teachers are supposed to have quite a deal of respect in Thai society.but do they really?

How many manky back packers with no interest in teaching or their students have upset the applecart?

I`m not looking for the red carpet treatment,but a little bit of respect when dealing with Thai red tape would certainly help.

I would rather put pins in my eyes ,than put this on the ajarn site,for I know the type of comments that I,d get.

Just curious........

quote:

I know that teachers are supposed to have quite a deal of respect in Thai society.but do they really?

How many manky back packers with no interest in teaching or their students have upset the applecart?

I`m not looking for the red carpet treatment,but a little bit of respect when dealing with Thai red tape would certainly help.

I would rather put pins in my eyes ,than put this on the ajarn site,for I know the type of comments that I,d get.

Just curious........

Sad isn't it that people are now scared of posting on the ajarn site. Ian and I are getting together on Friday I hope and maybe we'll hammer out some dramatic solution. I know that Ian is at the end of his tether and he's one of the nicest, laid-back kind of guys I've ever met.

I will put my hand up though and say that I'm very guilty of not moderating that board as well as I should.

Teachers do still command respect in Thailand if they do it right - dress smartly, look clean, and know your subject. Look like a teacher and your students will love and respect you for it.

I've mellowed a little over the past year regarding my attitude to backpacker teachers because I've employed one or two recently and they've been wonderful - punctual, dilligent and well-liked by the students.

I think that as an academic director, you might have just as many problems with the prima donnas that have been here years and suddenly think Bangkok owes them a living.

I'm currently toying with the idea of building up a Bangkok teaching website but don't really know if I'll have the time to devote to it. One things for sure - it'll be there to make money somehow.

Would anyone care to comment on what such a Bangkok teaching site should include?

Phil

The biggest problems I faced with teachers was the "old hands" who reckoned they knew it all about BKK, if not teaching. Their stock answer to any criticism was always " I've been here X number of years, you can't tell me anything."

I hope something can be done with ajarn.com. When I first started checking it out I was pleasantly suprised there were so many conscientious teachers out there, which I must admit was not my experience in the 6 years I was involved. But recently, there have been a few too many moronic postings on there.

God knows what any advertisers must think when they look through the forum.

Good luck

Thanks for your constructive comments.

a Bangkok teaching site? A great idea ,although I think that the ajarn site is still very good indeed,and has a lot of work put into it.I have emailed Ian a couple of times ,and was amazed how helpful he was.

Only the board lets it down a bit.

Phil

Good idea to make the net pay!

I'd like to see some sort of arrangement with a bookshop or resource supplier for a discount card or some other benefit.

I also think you could market the Thai lessons through a teachers site.

BTW who is going to be at the quiz in the Londoner tonight?

Archived