Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

We'll, I'll be moving to Thailand in November. Haven't been there before but, facinated with everything it has to offer. The idea did start from reading the begining chapters in Tai cookbooks that were about the culture, people, and landscapes.

My plan is to stay for two years at least, I figure I will be able to really get a feel for the culture and country in that period of time.

I have to say that I am very excited to go, but also sad to leave what I have here, and I should also mentioned that sometimes this move scares the daylights out of me. Especially the finding a job part.

Anyway, not much is planned as of right now. Probably end up in Bangkok initially, take a week or two to sit on a beach after that, visit Chang Mai the week after that, then head back to Bangkok and get setup to try to live there for a while.

Any advice or recommendations would be helpful. This is all on a fairly tight budget, so money saving tips would be great.

thanks in advance,

Matt

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So tell us a bit more. What's the reason you're leaving your own country and what's the reason for choosing Thailand.

Do you have a job here, or plan your own investment, or are you at retirement age?

At present you've given us very little to comment on other than that you intend to be here for a while.

Haven't been there before but......My plan is to stay for two years at least......and I should also mention that sometimes this move scares the daylights out of me. Especially the finding a job part.

------------------------------

talk about a big jump in the unknown! And on a budget!

Try to be specific about the infos you need or want, and post as you go.

I think you know employement is prohibited for foreigners on a tourist visa, though the odd english teaching job seems always a tolerated possibility.

Yep, need to know more. What kind of job? (Realise that some jobs are restricted to Thais only.) It's easy enough to find something to do here. But finding a good job is another matter. Doesn't take much to get by though, if you don't go hog wild in the bars etc. You can find a decent enough apartment for 5,000 baht a month -- a house at the same price, if you're willing to live in the sticks. Transportation is cheap, food too. Tailor made clothing for less than you'd pay off of the rack at home.

Ok, couple things about me.

I'm a 31yr old computer tech. I do desktop support and server administration on Microsoft Windows.

Why I'm going to Tailand, first and foremost I think that right now in my life I have a chance to do something outrageous. The 6 year girlfriend and I decided to call it quits, and my job contract in San Francisco just ended. Right now I could slog around looking for a crappy job in the USA(things aint great here), but I'd rather do something that I feel wil make me grow even more, Thailand seems the place to go. I did consider China at first, but after doing some research, I think the best move to make,would be to try Thailand.

No I do not have a job lined up, I have started investigating teaching English. Couple of problems there though, as i do not have a college degree or a teaching cert. My real hope is to land a computer job in an English speaking company. If you all have any recommendations on companies I should look at, please let me know.

I do kow this move is going to be very hard, I have no dillusions about Thailand being paradise in every manner. I am as prepared as I can be to live in the outskirts of Bangkok in the Tai areas to keep money expenditure down.

That's it in a nut shell, my two major worries are the job and cash expenditure problems. I may have to try to avoid most of the bangkok nightlife, so that Imay stay longer and learn about thailand itself. But I like beer.

Since most of you seem to be expats, what are the reasons you moved there?

Matt

[color:"red"] I do kow this move is going to be very hard, I have no dillusions about Thailand being paradise in every manner. I am as prepared as I can be to live in the outskirts of Bangkok in the Tai areas to keep money expenditure down.

[/color]

First, spell the word "Thai" correctly. Secondly, you need to do more research, especially on visa.

Jasmine

Says mnvinaz:

No I do not have a job lined up, I have started investigating teaching English. Couple of problems there though, as i do not have a college degree or a teaching cert. My real hope is to land a computer job in an English speaking company. If you all have any recommendations on companies I should look at, please let me know.

Hi,

I dont want to rain on your parade, but lots of Thai doing what you can do, as good as you, and way cheaper than you........

IMO just forget about computer jobs, unless you are skilled in IT

Good luck !

Cheers !

Archived