Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

So how do I go about finding a computer job.

Hi mnvinaz,

Don't want to ruin your plans already, but do consider that getting a job in desktop support is very close to imposible for you, just think about it, how would you be able to do support without being fluent in Thai? Secondly, most companies will take a look at your resume, then conclude that in 12 months or less you wont be around anymore, so you are not worth the trouble. Besides that, there is the salary issue. There are plenty of capable thai nationals who can and will do your job for just half of what you are expecting. I think unless you have a somewhat unique skillset (or some very good connections in Thailand) you need to look for something in another direction.

I would advice you to keep your connections to where you come from, don't burn any bridges, take an extended vacation in Thailand, maybe a couple of months, see how things work out. I can promise you it is different from what you expected, be realistic, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Before you move, you could try to contact some of the companies of your nationality whom you know has a branch in Thailand to see if perhaps they have something to offer.

Best regards,

Danish30

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No bridges have been burned here, In fact there aren't to many bridges left to burn anyway. Don't know if you guys know how the market is in San Francisco for technicians, but last year I spent a year unemployed and with hardly any leads. It is getting better though. I figure I at least try to wait out this recession learning a different culture and learning about Thailand for a couple of years. If I have to teach English and visit temples on the weekend instead of go drinking all the time, so be it, and I will be better for it.

I still have a month left before I go and I am unemployed right now, so I have much free time to do research about companies and job possibilities. This is why I am posting.

My first task is to get a list of all the English speaking companies in Bangkok, maybe try networking with them, and if no success, knock on their door when I get there.

Point well taken about IT jobs, I understand it may hard to impossible to find, but I will work my ass off to get one, hopefully while teaching English.

Matt

[color:"blue"] Nothing ventured nothing gained...go for it mate [/color]

right on :grinyes:

Where's your sense of adventure guys ? Your all starting to sound like namby pambies. :nono:

He'll work it out. Sure he's uninformed ...... but smart enough to come here and start asking questions. :applause:

Better than a lot.

A few hundred hours reading the board, a pertainent question here and there, buying the SFO crew a beer, then, of course, there is always Laohuli's 'guide a newbie service'. :grinyes:

He comes, he's smart enough to have a return ticket......RIGHT???.......so when he runs outa cash he may have to go back and get some more. We've all done that.... some of us still do.

Who knows maybe he won't even like it here, (not much chance of that though :grinyes:)

Do want you need to fellows, someday you'll all wake up dead and it's too late then.

Agreed.

I think its a bit foolish to just drop everything and move sight unseen into a place that is literally a totally foreign environment. SF is a diverse place, but it aint no Bangkok and you'll be in for a shock when you step off the plane. Go over there and feel out the country for a few weeks. Make some friends and contacts, check out job options, learn a bit of the language and then come back home and evaluate whether or not you really want to live there. Should you then decide its the place for you, you'll be much better prepared.

My first task is to get a list of all the English speaking companies in Bangkok, maybe try networking with them,

At the level you are talking about the language is Thai. The chance of you finding employment at 25-30k I would guess to be slim to nil. There are many others looking who have some language or networking advantage over you. The English teaching is now restricted to degree holders unless you work below the surface and this may be a thing of the past if visa regulations continue to be more strictly enforced. If you need to change jobs would suggest you get schooling in another field while in the US and seek employment there. Use the money you make for vacation trips to Thailand.

All,

We'll it's a done deal about me moving there. If I only last six months, so be it, the fall back point is the return ticket at that time. I'm kind of looking at it as a Peace Core mission, I sign up and although I haven't been to the place, I'm living there wether it is bad or good for six months. I think that length of time should reveal if I have a shot at getting a job or not. If it's a definite no go, I shack up in a bungalo sitting on a beach for a few months and head back to San Fran.

It's funny, many of the people I talk to over here don't think I'll last all that long either, although everyone of them says that it may be the best experience in my life. I am hoping to prove them wrong about lasting there.

So the concensus is that there isn't a chance in hell that a 31 year old guy that is determined and commited in the position I am in can move there and live? Ahhh, the forbidden city feel, oh well, bring it on.

Iternerary for arriving.

First 3-5 days

Get hotel room in Bangkok. Get cell phone. Get buisness cards. Locate cheap, possible furnish apartment close to the skytrain. Hand out buisness cards.

Day 6-14

Go South and stay on beach and explore Island. Hua Hin sounds nice. Acclimate to weather, learn Tai ASAP. Check out tourist buisness.

Day 14-17

Head back to Bangkok. Look for apartment if one has not been picked out. Network with people.

Day 18-24

Head to Chang Mai. Do the tourist thing, but keep eyes open for job opportunities. Learn Thai.

Day 25 to 6 months

Back to Bangkok, Check into apartment. Make 30 day visa runs. Look for job, look for job, look for job.

Day 18-24

Head to Chang Mai. Do the tourist thing, but keep eyes open for job opportunities. Learn Thai.

I suggest you allocate a bit more than seven days to learning Thai. :)BTW good luck.

[color:"blue"]So the concensus is that there isn't a chance in hell that a 31 year old guy that is determined and commited in the position I am in can move there and live? [/color]

Not at all.

Live ... yes.

Find a job..... damned near impossible.

Find a legitimate job that doesn't put your ass in a sling........yup, that's the no chance in hell option. :grinyes:

your talents mean diddly squat here and your lack of language and experience here means there is no way you will find something legit.

but since no one will ever beleive until they experience it, welcome to LOS. Perchance you find your touchstone here as FlyW and others have, but one things for sure.... it will be long haul.

SO, six months....what everybody figure... bare minimum, (see you can use the search function to find this info) not including air ticket............6K US......10K more reasonable. As you will learn here, what you think is 'basic' in SFO and what a Thai thinks is 'basic' are a few light years apart. But that's why you are coming, to learn. :grinyes: No doubt you will have lots of opportunities.

Best get to reading this board, it WILL save you a lot of $$$ and maybe even your sanity some days. :beer:

So I figure;

First 3-5 days;

get room, start simple Nana Hotel 1000 baht a day.

Cell Phone...cheap...OK..5000b

Business Cards........don't think so

Go for beer, talk to Farangs....BTW that's what you are now

Look at girls....nice.....verynice.

Take girl back to room.

Give her your new cell phone, because shes really sweet and has to call her sick mom everyday. You know cause you let her use it last night and understood every word. Even said hello to her on the phone.

Do some more networking...only people who speak English are the guys at the bars and the girls that work there. "Yes know computer, come go shop. Hab email. You send me."

OK, spend a couple more days Bkk, get the lay of the land. Visit couple more bar areas. Gee the folk are sure friendly...............

Week 3........... damn gotta get out of this city. Beside I'm spending a fortune..............maybe take Nok to see her Mom in the village..............

We will see. (Bet you never get business cards. :beer:)

Seems to be a shit load of IT people looking for work. If youo dont have contacts here or outstanding skills that would enable an overseas hire then forget about it.

dont just teach to teach. There are enough unqualified teachers in this country. The education system is bad enough without people who just want to teach so they can get a visa.

Spend a few months lookig for work in the IT and go luck.

Archived