Moving to Thailand in November!!!????!!!????***

" On teaching computer in English, many Thais can teach in both Thai and English"

Most of the good schools would never hire a thai to teach in English. More of a face thing rather than a skills thingie.

I probably know a good percentage of the foreign computer teachers (5) in thailand. There are not that many jobs available, since it is not a credit course in the high school level of the thai schools and there are very few international schools in the country that are successful enough to have an IT dept. FYI The tech at our school gets 16000B a month. (thai)

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<I think its a bit foolish to just drop everything and move sight unseen into a place that is literally a totally foreign environment>>

Hes going because he wants to, his free will. I bet most of us know old boys who fought in some hell whole hundreds/thousands of miles from home who were forced to go. They came back picked up the pieces and carried on with life. They guy isn't joining the French Foreign Legion or leaving for Dunkirk is he now. He's 31 with his life ahead of him with some skills he can fall back on if he needs too.

If I had to teach during the time I'm there to get a Visa, I would do the best I could to ensure that I taught well.

Do any of you know how much a TEFL certification is in Thailand?

If I come out of this at the least with a certification to teach English in foreign contries it may not be all that bad. I may have to go back to the States, but I would be better prepared for another attempt at it in the future.

I love and respect teachers by the way.

Why no buisness cards? If it has to do with jail time, fahgeddaboutit.

So my fate is to party till dawn, and end up throwing all my money to a gorgous Thai gal. Not to say I haven't been warned.

I know, you guys probably see a guy like me every other month--or is it every other day. Hmmmm

Shit, Lau HuLi, you even called it down to the hotel I was going to use.( I need to find a cheaper one.

What do you mean about the Thai understanding of basic, and what we think is basic?

Somewhere in there you should mention about the 250 dollar apartments that I can afford for about a year, also the 3 dollar eat all day side street vendors. I know i can streatch this out for longer than that.

Lau HuLi, you even guessed my bank account statement....are you with the CIA or something?

While many of the warnings you've received are accurate (and I wouldn't want to move anywhere, much less a foreign country with foreign language without having checked it out personally first), all is not bleak as some would paint it.

Yes, you can live very cheaply here. (although apts. near the skytrain are more costly) Better to find that job first, then get a permanent place near your work. A mobile you can get for as little as 2,500 baht. You can eat for 100 baht a day if you're careful. BUT, don't expect hot water in your room, and don't expect to be able to afford McDonalds more than once a week. That will be your luxury item when you NEED something from back home (and you will) Hope you like spicy food.

People are friendly, but unless you're in a heavily frequented ex-pat area, may speak little to no English.

When I first moved to Bangkok 2 years ago, I made about 28K a month and was able to save about 5k a month (only went to the bars about once a month, and rarely went out at night at all)

Plenty of other foreigners here to help you out, and the network may help you to find a job (they did for me twice)

TEFL schools are many. I believe I went to the best one, TEFL INt'l in Ban Phe, but they will cost you around $2000 DOLLARS to attend. Cheaper ones are available in Bangkok, but you get what you pay for, and you're paying big city prices to live here while you're studying and not earning money. If you can get a certificate at a community college there, than this might be an option. Bachelor's Degree's can still be had at Khao San Road for a price, and while they may help you get a teaching job, they may get you kicked out if you try to use one to get a visa. Also, as was posted before, I hope you'r not going to become another in a long line of unqualified bad English teachers in Bangkok, who make things harder for the rest of us.

Look, despite everything, this is a great country to live, otherwise we wouldn't all be here. But, again, you really should get some firsthand knowledge of the place before making this big a move. Still, come down to Gullivers your first Friday night, and I'm sure we'll all do what we can to help you get started.

Good luck!

.........or something :rolleyes:

120 baht a day for grub..........better like street noodles and nam. :grinyes:

actually the 250 a month for an studio is not impossible at all, just go to the accommodations forum and do a search for apartments. (don't forget you will need a 3 month hard to get deposit in all likelyhood.) Think there is one about a 350 baht room as well. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll squeal. :grinyes: But YOU do some reasearch first. OK? One thing you will realize very quickly in LOS is that you can only depend on what YOU do, not what others, including me, say.

about basic.......what do you think a basic room/apartment is ?

you want hot water? air con for the 40 degree heat? live by yourself? Security? Yes it all can be done. Just difficult to start on that level with no language or connections.

I love and respect teachers by the way.

--------------------

wait til' you meet the english language ones in LOS :grinyes:.

We will have time to talk about it around a few beers, but discard your plans, life is going to happen to you, and your plans as scheduled will fly thru the window (hopefully, not with you as well :D).

I thin LHL meant do not hurry, when he said no business cards. BKK can be a harrowing city, (can be?, it is!) to negotiate as far as commuting. Do all the things you mean to do, as far as jobs, but not by getting up in te morning ready to go, as if you answered an add in the SF Chronicle. hang out and network, it can come from anyone you meet, but in time only. And do not think BKK may be the absolute place to settle. It's a rat race out there too, so why the big move then? etc....

I met someone who stayed in the Miami Hotel in Bangkok, near Sukhumvit for around Bt500 per night. Not good I think, but cheap if you think that Bt1000 is too expensive.

I wish you luck but you are seriously misguided. You don't have a clue about the country - did you just stick a pin in the atlas?. If your budget can't stretch to Bt1000 a day for the initial few weeks then you will be fucked.

On a positive note, hit the net and try and track down some cheap apartments. I have seen sites for less than 5k per month but I wasn't in the market. If you find any in your budget, then maybe come back the board with locations and the guys will help you pick the best from your selection.

Food, if you like Thai food (do you ?) can be very cheap. You can get by with 3 meals a day for less than Bt100 from the street stalls.

If you are serious about leaving your home country, do some serious research, save some more money and test it out for a few weeks. I have lived abroad in Europe and Asia and it is very different living there compared to going there on holiday, and you haven't even done that. Living in a foreign country, where you can't meet other foreigners because you don't have the money to go out and being broke all the time can really fuck up your head. Make sure you have an exit route.

I have lived abroad in Europe and Asia and it is very different living there compared to going there on holiday, and you haven't even done that.

----------------------

though if there is one country where i think you can do that, it's Thailand. he will do fine as far as being there the first few months, then what he really wants to do with it, and with his life will tell him if it was just the greatest vacation he ever had, or he found his next reason for living. He is 31, IMO he can do all the mistakes he wants, it won't be too late to shape up. Nay-sayers, admit there is nothing drab that awaits him there. If he was 15 years older, still on a budget, that would be different, but his idea does not look like a middle-life crisis in the making, on the contrary.

Archived