The Fake Diploma issue

>sorry, but a degree does not give you those qualities automatically. lots of other occupations can give you those skills as well.

a degree gives you nothing else than a limited theoretical expertise in your chosen profession.

Anyone with a degree to second Fly?

If I did not have a degree God knows where I would have been and what I could be doing...

Thanks God for the best years of my life that eventuated in the vehicle to ride on for the rest of my presence in this world.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

each to his own.

thank god that i made the decision and left that treadmill when i was twenty, and had so the opportunity to live a life very few people have the priviledge to do.

as a result i do not have much money, but memories nobody can take away.

as i am a citizen from a very priviledged country i can always do a degree if i chose so. but the energy needed to experience so many facets of life to the extreme is never gonna come back.

from wars to monastries in tibet - i have missed none of it. and i do hope that i will see and experience even more in the future.

talking about best years of life - they have started when i left 15 years ago, and still are going on.

>thank god that i made the decision and left that treadmill when i was twenty,

Thank God I have never made that decission. I am working now in 10th different country and will probably work in 5-6 more over next 20 years.

And monasteries and temples were available to us with degrees. You don't have to be poor to enjoy them.

Says think_too_mut:

Anyone with a degree to second Fly?

To an extent, yes.

It's always dangerous to sort people under labels. No doubt a university degree can give you quite a bit in personal evolvement & critical thinking.

However, IMHO, it's hard to beat passion & true interest -- something I belive few have in their university degrees...or what you'd say?

I have attended some of the very best universities in my particular field (inlcuding a top-ten rated university in USA; on scholarship I might add -- I could never afford it personally). The number of 'dumkopfs' in universities never ceased to amaze me though...

I think one shouldn't overdramatize the value of a degree.

That's not to say that all work can be done without proper education (including a degree). I think Fly knows that as well...

6 year degree seems like the person should be working in a university or high paying international school and should not have much to worry about a person teaching english as a second language to a 10 year old level. Teaching to this level anymore is done alot with a CD now, right? What a waste of a degree if you have to worry about a person that makes 20 or 30G baht a month. I seen alot of people in europe that turned $60 G a year jobs into $8 an hour (20G a year) because they had family and wanted to stay there. Took them

5 years to kill the market and they still cry because they cannot make ends meet and now they have to pay local taxes to boot. Having a degree and not making the most of it is your own fault. They should not hire anyone who has not taught at least a year or 2 in the country of the foreign language. Russia has some good english schools which I am sure 10G baht a month is double what they get at home. I am surprised they have not flooded the market yet.

>>> You don't have to be poor to enjoy them.<<<

of course not, has nothing to do with being poor or rich.

but there are many places in this world you need a bit more than a two week holiday to get to. and there are very few careers which do give you the freedom to go wherever you want, for as long as you want to.

anyhow, each to his own - i have chosen freedom over a stable career. and i can say that i still live the best years of my life. i did that since 15 years.

Hi!

I definitely agree with fly. I have a degree in math and computer science. Throughout the years I have worked with lots of people who have found out that they weren't cut out for the job and pursued another career. I have also worked with great programmers with no degree, e.g. data base designers that haven't a clue what relation calculus or set algebra is. They can still do good designs with the aid of available tools and their experience.

Although theoretical education should not be dismissed as useless it should also not be overrated. After working 10 years at an university I know that there are plenty of idiots with degrees out there. I have also met genioses with a PhD that couldn't button their shirt properly. :)

regards

ALHOLK

Wow you sound really really jealouse. If you look around you theres a lot of people earning a lot of money without either acreditation or hard work. They can sweet talk and bullshit or just have good looks.

But like I said in my original post, It's NOT for me.

And both I and little brother both have TESOL certificates that we both worked hard to earn. And they qualify us to do that work leagally. As well as our both having experience in the that work as well as many other work experiences.

Little brothers work is not as an English teacher but is working in a different field which he has 6 years of experience in. He has however written and published his first teaching book.

He has work permits, the problem is he has been asked to work in a field that he does not have a degree in. He can do this legally but it will mean that the employer will have control of his work visa which he does not feel comfortable about.

I think you must trully have worked very very very hard in aquiring your degree. Most of my friends say that while completing their degrees they saw more inept people bumbling through the process than pesons dilligantly studying.

Archived