Tipping

OK, I know everyone has an opinion on this subject, and it may sometimes depend on how drunk you are at the time (ahem!)... BUT...

What do you tip, normally, for the following actions?:

1. Room service, per person.

2. Maid service

3. BJ bar girl tip

4. Taxi meter drivers (thankfully, there are honest ones!)

5. Finally, anyone regularly tip over ST or LT rates? (I usually don't, but I'd like to hear if anyone does.)

1. Nothing, it's their job. I'd charge it to

the room so no money changes hands.

Otherwise I'd tip 10 baht or the small

change coins.

2. Only for special requests, 20-40 baht

depending on the request.

3. This usually has a fixed price right? I'd

buy a her one or more drinks which is the

tip already.

4. Round to the next 10, sometimes the next

20 if he did a particulary good job.

5. There is a LT rate? ST is more likely to

have an agreed price, in which case I

wouldn't go over the agreed price unless

it develops into an LT. Some bars

(particuary in Pattaya) as well as

massage parlours and lady houses would

have a fixed or defacto shorttime rate.

In that case I'm inclined to tip an extra

200 or so if the experience was pleasant

and I liked the girl, especially if the

shorttime rate was just 500. For

expensive shorttimes there is no tip.

Cheers,

Chanchao

1 Always the same -20 baht, I know it's their job but they get paid sod all and why should the girls get all the tips.

2 When I see them and in the mood give them about 50 baht every other day, good idea to do this at the start of the stay and not give a lump sum at the end,then they will look after you, extra water, towels etc. without asking.

3 Never had a bj in a bar, does not appeal much

4 Taxi, always round up to nearest 10 or 20 except for the odd time the guy goes out of the way, or starts off not putting the meter on until told

5 Tip LT sometimes, but to be honest not that many deserve it.

Add

6 Leave small change on tray in go go bar/beer bar? I seem to have a habit of always doing this unless I only have one drink, certainly not to be done in crown group at 110 baht, that must have affected the staff tips.

7 Restaurants normally tip at least 20-30 baht unless absolutely hopeless service ie. wrong food /waiting for ever for it to turn up-peter

quote:

Originally posted by jryanb:

OK, I know everyone has an opinion on this subject, and it may sometimes depend on how drunk you are at the time (ahem!)... BUT...

What do you tip, normally, for the following actions?:

1. Room service, per person.

2. Maid service

3. BJ bar girl tip

4. Taxi meter drivers (thankfully, there are honest ones!)

5. Finally, anyone regularly tip over ST or LT rates? (I usually don't, but I'd like to hear if anyone does.)

1. Room service -- If you mean a guy bringing food to the room, maybe 50 baht max. If you mean in-house massage girl that gives good room SERVICE, I've tipped as much as 500 Baht.

2. Maid service -- Most days nothing. But if I actually encounter maid cleaning the room and she seems pleasant, I'll usually give her whatever smallest paper denomination I have in my pocket.

3. Only one experience with this, at Pump Station in Pattaya. When I asked the price, girl said 350 for bar and another 350 for her. I said I would pay 500 total and she happily accepted. So I guess that is 150 Baht tip.

4. Whatever the fare rounds up to handily. If it's 80 baht I'll give 100 -- keep the change. If it's 98 baht, I'll give 100 -- keep the change.

5. I've never really thought about tipping for ST or LT services. Though if outstanding time with a girl, I may be generous to point of giving 1500 for LT that I initially intended to give only 1000. So I guess that is a "tip" of 500 Baht.

Archived