curse of the red flowers (not a movie)

pattaya127

Ananova:

Police ban red flowers at shrine to ward off death

Worshippers have been banned from making offerings of red flowers at a Bangkok shrine because of their association with murders and accidents in the area.

Police in the Somdej Chaophraya district have put up a sign forbidding visitors from placing the flowers at the Pu Kaek shrine.

Sergeant Pairoj Thienpitak said officers hope the ban will help reduce the number of violent deaths in the neighbourhood.

He said: "We are keeping our eyes on the shrine to keep away the red flowers because every time the red flowers are offered there, police are informed of people being murdered or dying in accidents."

He said dozens of people have died at times when police spotted red flowers at the shrine, leading them to believe that Pu Kaek, or "Indian Grandfather" - the spirit believed to inhabit the shrine - hates the offerings.

The shrine contains various idols and Buddha images, but is not devoted to a particular religion.

Many people in Thailand, a predominantly Buddhist country, are superstitious and believe in spirits and ghosts. Some believe spirits will become angry if proper respect is not shown and bad luck will follow.

Sgt Pairoj said that in one case, a police officer was shot dead by his wife soon after authorities saw a bunch of red flowers at the shrine.

© Associated Press

Story filed: 08:46 Friday 5th September 2003 ( i hope that's not too late for Yethmae)

Hmm. I wonder, would this be Wat Kaek along Silom Rd?

If I understand/remember correctly red has always been associated with death in Thailand (something to do with the Monks writing with red letters on the coffins for the dead in preparation for funeral ceremonies).

Archived