Grand President rates

Soi11

Surprised no one has mentioned their penchant for levying a 4% fee (or was that 5%?) for the use of payment by credit card upon checkout. They pulled this on me back in August, or tried I should say. I thought that took quite a bit of gall to tack that on top of 10% service fees.

Once informed I told them straight away I had not been informed of said CC fee at check-in and thus refused to pay it. Staff backed down pretty easily but seemed to be corporate extortionists at heart-- greedy buggers.

4% for CC use? How else would you pay for a weeks stay if not on plastic? As if we love to pull 40K baht out of the ATM's just to move on. Not likely.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But they should already include it into the Room Rate, as every other business includes all costs into the price in advance.

Normally all Companies which offer payment by CC to their customers have to sign and agree with Visa/MC/AMEX that they won`t charge (panalize) customers for paying by CC.

>>>>>Normally all Companies which offer payment by CC to their customers have to sign and agree with Visa/MC/AMEX that they won`t charge (panalize) customers for paying by CC. <<<<<

This is true. In the US anyway. Here it's grounds for ending the contract. I cannot charge a different price to a customer because they are using a credit card. I take Visa, Amex, Discover, and MasterCard. I needed to sign the same agreement with all 4.

Might be different oversea's. I really don't know. I do know that last time I was there, I purchased $600 worth of items from a wholesaler, and was charged 3% extra, due to not paying in cash (used MasterCard). :dunno:

HT

I used to think that it businesses in Thailand were not allowed to do that....then I found out that it does not violate their contract (as it would in the US).

Anyway, every single travel agency i visited in thailand tacks on the 3% (approx.) for credit card use. Hotels do it much less often.

Interesting that they are allowed to do it at all, thanks.

Irregardless of the 'if' when they tack on the service charges up front it's just part of the equation thus a part of the deliberation on value. When they do it on the backend though, allowed or not, then it becomes something else. Say- extortion- shall we? Pisses me off! :: :down:

it is commonly stated that the prices listed are for "cash" and that Credit Cards will incur a service fee.

Most common in LOS, but have also seen it in the west. It pisses ME off that since the credit card 'fee' is included in the price, then I should get a rebate for paying "cash"

works both ways.

For Topaz!

I went to either travelocity or aol and found 2000bht corporate rates for one and two bedroom suites at Grand and Royal President. Not bad for $15.00 US more.

SB

Archived