My favorite hotels - BKK/Pattaya

A double reply here -

To JAYBLOOM:

The Royal Benja was not too bad considering the price, but I was made to feel that 'guests' would not be too welcome. The sign painted on the wall above the main entrance that reads something like "Welcome to all Kuoni parties" tells me what market they are really after. The rooms themselves were OK but a bit tired, but I was only there for two nights before moving on.

To Peter G:

Ah, the Tai Pan. The room (7th or 8th floor if I recall) was very tired, the bathroom even worse. The grouting was mainly grey or black, the shower head threw as much water sideways as down, and the towels were almost threadbare. On the subject of towels, they did not seem to believe that any need be available by the pool. IMHO this is a 3/4 star hotel bordering on 2 star. Oh, and despite booking and paying for a double room they still insisted on a 500 baht joiner fee. Sorry, I was not impressed.

ttfn, Gromit.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are the rooms 6 & 7th floor they give you for 1060 baht through siam online but the one I had was OK.Joiner fee? I have never heard of anybody else being charged this at the tai pan only that they may charge extra 150 for another breakfast. When was it you were there?-peter

Ah, the Tai Pan. The room (7th or 8th floor if I recall) was very tired, the bathroom even worse. The grouting was mainly grey or black, the shower head threw as much water sideways as down, and the towels were almost threadbare. On the subject of towels, they did not seem to believe that any need be available by the pool. IMHO this is a 3/4 star hotel bordering on 2 star. Oh, and despite booking and paying for a double room they still insisted on a 500 baht joiner fee. Sorry, I was not impressed.

ttfn, Gromit.[/QB]

To Jbay,

Re the Hong Kong Hotel, Phnom Penh,

Too many movie cameras and a long walk of shame? Do you mean the CCTV? I know what you mean, a little off-putting, but I don't know about a walk of shame, I didn't think much of it. No disapproving stares from staff or other guests, and not far to the lifts either.

Have you had any particular problems there, only I liked it and was planning on staying there again.

My vote goes to:

Pattaya- Pattaya Centre/Eastiny.

Bangkok- Nana Hotel/Business Inn.

I know the Nana doesn't have the best room quality around and it's not that cheap at 1070 baht a night but location is unbeatable and it has Angels disco right downstairs! That makes up for a lot.

But the real reason has to be the atmosphere of the place, a bit sleazy, bit of a free-for-all with girls galore coming and going at all hours. Almost everybody there is a sanuker and it's expected you bring girls back every night. It's an institution, and for me the magic hasn't worn off yet.

When I have to watch my baht more Business Inn is now my hotel of choice, I tried it for the first time in March and it's the cleanest budget hotel I've found. 550/600 baht a night, I don't know why the difference. Small but clean, newish room with excellent quiet aircon, cable TV and fridge, double bed.

to DJ1999J

The food is not to my taste at all.

Check out times is a problem.

they only accept visa and cash.

I stayed there about 4 weeks this past winter and i find the New York hotel much better, cleaner, and happier.

this is only my view.

much respect

jbay

To: Peter G

I was in the Tai Pan in early April of this year [the post LOS blues are really hitting hard now :-(]. I wish I had been paying 1060 a night, I had booked through www.hoteltravel.com for about 1500 a night inclusive.

Re the joiner fee - they had a very nice printed receipt book at reception specifically for these charges !

Best swimming pool in Pattaya is the Flipper Lodge by far. In Bangkok, none of the cheaper guest friendly places have very good pools IMHO. The Nana Hotel's pool is probably the best of these.

Many hotel pictures and location maps can be found at the www.asiatravel.com web site. It's a good place to start researching hotels and a basis for determining a fair price.

My current favorite in Bangkok is the Ambassador. It's convient to NEP, the Skytrain and, etc. About $30 US. Other good places are the Nana and City Lodge, both for about 1,000B. Avoid the Novotel Lotus, Windsor Suites, Rembrandt - have had some guest problems (charge extra). Landmark is nice, but pricely. Didn't care for St. James.

In Pattaya I like the Sunbeam. Avoid the Siam Bayview.

[ May 17, 2001: Message edited by: pattayaman ]

quote:

Originally posted by jbay:

Nana hotel gets my vote.

I stay over 60 days a year there and I stal another 60 days a year in phnom penh at the new (NEW YORK HOTEL) I won't stay at the Hong Kong hotel in pp any more. To many movie camera's and a long (walk of Shame)

respect

jbay

If PP is included here, I vote for the Sofitel; stayed there twice and it was excellent (pricey though)

Archived