Boat races at Bang Sai

Last saturday went to the international Swan boat races which were held at Bang Sai Royal Arts and Crafts Centre.

Quite nice to see competitors from several countries in the region and even some from western countries.

Didn't see the finals which were on Sunday, although I did see some of it on TV.

The Bang Sai Arts and Crafts centre is turning into a nice place to go for a day out. Next week they'll celebrate Loy Kratong there as well.

The boat races were organised by the TAT, but funny enough hardly any foreigner around (apart from the participants).

The TAT needs to do some work to bring such events to the attention of foreign tourists, whic I'm sure will enjoy such traditional Thai events.

Buy the way, no entry fee to this event. Beleive the entry fee for Loy Kratong is 50 Baht.

I went there on a very quiet week day, maybe 10 people in the whole park. Because some here mind about these things, i must say that there are 2 fees for locals and foreign tourists. I paid 100 or 150, can't recall, the GF wanted to see it and we had ridden a good hour from Ayutthaya, so i forked out.

It's very well tended, but i find it a bit like Pretty Thailand in miniature, except for the huge warehouses next to the park.

I remember wondering if these centers make any real money, or are just constantly subsidized by zealous well-heeled "courtiers" of the royal family. Craft prices seemed a bit steep in the museum shops (or rather museum-shop), for sure.

Not "my" Thailand, really. Though it seems you were there on a very special and fun day.

Says orandanodes:

Last saturday went to the international Swan boat races which were held at Bang Sai Royal Arts and Crafts Centre.

The Bang Sai Arts and Crafts centre is turning into a nice place to go for a day out. Next week they'll celebrate Loy Kratong there as well.

It's always nice to see the alternative activities that you and the many other expats occasionally post on the board. :)

Archived