Short Cambodia update

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for your kind words :bow:

How was your Koh Kong-trip? I have heard good things about it from another source, with many Engish-teachers going there for sank because of the prices. Many scams around there though.

I have been to the beach the last two days and shared some cigarettes in one of beach-bars there, so I had some somewhat lazy days. May be two more points:

General - Security: Compared to Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville seems to be safe, but I have heard particular warnings more than once, so it is probably a good idea to share them. There were some robberies, especially during the night-time. The time to go home, is 23:00 - 24:00 with not after 24:00 when returning from the harbour (chicken-farm, "Biba"). On the way back to the downtown-area are dark streets with lots of opportunities. When staying in the downtown-area the time to go home is around 01:00. Later the night, the risk of running in an unwanted incident is too high. It is probably also a good idea, to avoid remote beaches during the day-time. As the situaton is not stable, I highly recommend to visit one of the expats-bars (e.g. "Fishermens' Den") and to ask for the lastest situation.

Nightlife - P4P-economics: Sihanoukville is probably the cheapest place, I have ever been to. It seems, the going rate for expats here is USD 3 for short-time and USD 10 for long-time. The freelancers in the downtown-area are usualy asking for USD 15 per night.

2 nights in koh kong was a bit of a dissapointment mostly as far as sanuk goes anyway.

as for touristic things nothing much to do either, but I did manage to visit an old khmer temple out in the 'jungle' ;)

the main RLD I did an ok ST with a khmer cutie B300. but I really struggled to find her as almost do anywhere these days :o

some viets around too, but maybe my timing was bad(visited late afternoon).

there's another area in southern town area, which look a bit more upscale aka ktv etc. :dunno:

less houses, but perhaps better quality I did not inspect further...

it really is a small town & no pubs etc. exist to pick up freelancers or anything. main entertainment seems to be tv halls serving coffe, tea & booze for the local boys!

ok actually plenty of small more or less discrete massage joints attached to many guesthouses & other biz, but when I just wanted a 'normal' massage I was not made to feel very welcome & the cost was similar to a ST out on the farm :banghead:

great local & french food while the B500 VIP hotel wasn't too great.

I may not be back :p

Thank you for the update. What I have heard, THB 300 - THB 400 is the going rate for LT, not ST? May be, this used to be the case. I have heard about some scams when crossing the boarder. The official price for a visa is USD 20, but in Koh Kong USD are not accepted. The traveller has to pay THB 1200 and has to make a SARS-test!

well like you said above 'snoky' is probably the cheapest p4p place you've been so far, so getting away with B300-B400 in koh kong for LT is unlikely IME. B500 perhaps?

about the border crossing it's much less busy & hassle free than say poipet, but still they try a few 'scams' on like:

*sars check in the first entrance as one enter the border area. I filled out the form as requested & got some sort of stamp & along with a half hearted attempt for B100 'tip', which I declined! I think one can safely avoid this 'procedure' altogether :dunno:

*usd20 visa. well I didn't carry dollars, but just realise the baht equalent is less than B900, but was not surprised when he wanted B1300 ::

also he wanted B100 for the photo, which I stupidly had 'forgot'. anyways I gave him B1000, which overall he didn't seem to dissapointed about ;)

still unless one's main target is to visit snoky there's little reason to stay in koh kong as the RLD selection was quite poor IME. it's possible to catch a 'car' going direct to PP from the border - just allow some 5+++ hours & a bumpy ride :rolleyes:

When I went through Koh Kong last December, I got the visa for $20. The immigration officials wanted 1,100 baht, but I told them I have the option of paying $20 if I choose. I showed them the business cards of their superiors in Phnom Penh printed out from the Koh Kong web site and told them I would make a complaint in Phnom Penh if they persisted in demanding 1,100 baht from me for the visa. They quickly backed off and took my $20 :grinyes:. They did not, however, give me a receipt :dunno:. About the SARS certificate, I showed the official a card of my vaccination shot record, and he waved me on to the next office without having to fill out a form and no charge ::. The link on the Koh Kong website of the biz cards is here:link

As far as tourist attractions are concerned, there is a waterfall outside of Koh Kong that is worth seeing. There are taxis and minivans that leave from the market every morning to Phnom Penh. I took the minivan for 550 baht, and it was packed with Khmers and backpackers. It was a long journey, and there were four river crossings by raft. The rough road from Koh Kong eventually connects to the good road from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh. We left at 7:30am and arrived in Phnom Penh at 5:30pm. By the time I got to Phnom Penh, I was pooped:sleeping:.

Thanks for the PP update. Sounds like things are pretty much normal. There is something about Cambo that facinates me. Not so much the p4p, but the entire atmosphere. Maybe it's partly because of the difference in nightlife, but I think it has to do more with the idea that, although not as dangerous as even 5 years ago, there is a little bit of "living on the edge".

The lack of first-rate medical facilities is the one thing that, while not overly disconcerting, makes one wonder if it wouldn't be better to jump on the first plane back to bkk...even with a compound fracture! Happily, there are more and more mini-marts and not-so mini marts where familiar items can be acquired. And there are some great deals on mid-range hotels. And, of course, PP is much smaller and easier to get around than bkk.

Maybe it's the "decadance", the idea of "roughing it" without really doing so...kind of like a "dude ranch". Martini's and Sharkey are my usual choices for an evening of relaxation and my favorite "hunting grounds". From night to night, you never quite know what you'll come across. Part of the totality of a PP adventure.

Although quite a few locals speak some English, it definitely isn't Thailand in that regard. But I think it's getting easier to communicate there even over the last few years.

I wish there was more to do/see in PP...particulary in the daytime. You can "see it all" in about one day...Palace, museum, old school-prison...Russian Market...even K11 if you need to get dust and who-knows-what that locale offers. (I never saw anything there that tempted me...but I only went once.)

As for 63rd St., looked kind of...well, the offerings have never looked too good to me...Being an older guy, I'm good for 1 or 2 shots/24 hour period. So, I try to save myself for something above a "3" ::

Yeah...Cambo/PP...I've gotta get back, even if only for 2 or 3 nights.

(BTW, I spent only one night in Battambang...kind of a neat city/town. Very compact and locals were very friendly to farang. Recommend the TEO Hotel. 400 baht for a good AC room. Probably the best hotel in the city.)

Again...thanks for the report.

About the RLD in Koh Kong, I paid 500 baht LT. The two girls I took were by far the most popular girls from their houses, and the mamasans would not go down on the price. 300 baht was the ST price I was quoted. Also, if you have a motodup with you, that will raise the price, as he will expect a commission.

>>>jump on the first plane back to bkk...even with a compound fracture! <<<

if you ever would have had a compound fracture you would understand what a silly comment that was. after the first shock has worn off you will be screaming in agony wishing you are dead.

>>>Maybe it's the "decadance", the idea of "roughing it" without really doing so...kind of like a "dude ranch".<<<

:onfire: :onfire: :onfire:

Archived