Issues living up country

Sometimes I think about a quiet house in the countryside of the north or isaan. But the more I learn about up country, the more it seems there are vast potential complications a farang might not expect. Can anyone shed some light on some of the issues out there?

I'll kick it off by saying the atmosphere is pretty unpleasant in the areas of isaan I've been to around 6pm because every household seems to burn leaves at that time every day. Those public address loud speakers are pretty annoying too, but don't know how much these things are a problem when you move away from populated areas.

-security issues, if you do not have a trustworthy family there, don't move there, as your house will be the target of everyone who wants a share of your wealth. and trust me - they will get what they desire.

-if you do not speak thai you will be very very lonely.

-any sort of intellectual stimulation you will have to import if farming is not your thing.

>>>when you move away from populated areas.<<<

don't even think about moving away from populated areas... you would be mad.

It's a good idea to find a bit of social life with farangs in the district where you live. BTW, is that a move you'd do on your own, alone, or with GF/wife? I suspect the last option.

Many have done it, and are happy, though they are most likely not too far away from the main town. Village life on a daily basis may be a bit repetitive and put you on the village rythm more than is comfortable. Give it a try though, do not let anyone provide the answer other than yourself.

Escape Rabbit,

"Sometimes I think about a quiet house in the countryside of the north or isaan."

Hahaha! Well, in Isaan anyways, it's never really very quiet, unless your house is fairly isolated away from a village, and set back quite a bit from the road. The constant dogs barking and howling, the faulty mufflers of the endless motocykes, etc. It is actually much noiser in the village up here than where I used to live in the states in a city of 100,000 people.

"But the more I learn about up country, the more it seems there are vast potential complications a farang might not expect."

It really depends on what it is you are looking for, and what you want to do. I think many people have these expectations that are much different than the reality.

"Can anyone shed some light on some of the issues out there?"

Let's try! :-) I can only comment on my own experiences.

"I'll kick it off by saying the atmosphere is pretty unpleasant in the areas of isaan I've been to around 6pm because every household seems to burn leaves at that time every day."

While this is true, it does not happen all year round. Usually just during the cooler season, and right after the rice harvest, as there is lots of rice chaff around that can be used as fuel. Kind of like in the states in the fall season after all the leaves have fallen off the trees. It's mostly a seasonal thing.

"Those public address loud speakers are pretty annoying too,"

Extremely fucking annoying!!! Every morning like at 5 a.m. the damned and cursed village chief starts his daily harangue and commentary. I hate this myself, as I'm not a farmer, and don't get up most days at 5 fucking a.m.!! :-) :onfire: You have to remember though that this is farm country. Everyone gets up very early, so no one cares that you yourself aren't up! They make the usual noises of a community getting ready to work and go to school. It is noisy. What I hate the most though is those goddamned pick-up trucks with the loudspeakers in back and a 500 watt amp to drive them. These are truly the scourge of the village areas and should be outlawed!!! Makes one wish he had a grenade launcher or laws rocket handy sometimes. And mostly they are used to do advertisements, and political endorsements. I hate them!! :cussing:

"but don't know how much these things are a problem when you move away from populated areas."

In my area around Surin and the countryside there are a few farang homes built along the roads OUTSIDE the main village areas and cities. I expect exactly for the reasons mentioned here. Not hard to do, and they seem to be nice houses. Although I rarely actually see a farang in them or outside them. I suspect they are used mainly for vacation homes, and not lived in year round.

Cent

Hi Escape Rabbit,

The public announcements from the Puuyaibaan are definitely annoying especially since they are broadcasted at an ungodly hour. And it is usually the same stuff he says anyway, "Clean up the mess" seems to be his preferred line ::

There are certain smells upcountry that are not easily avoided. The burning of leaves as you mention, the smell of charcoal burning and the smell of rice cooking. Personally I like them allright.

Living upcountry can indeed be rather noisy especially if you live in a house with only openenings serving as windows. In late afternoon you will have the cikades and they can be incredibly noisy. During the rainy season the frogs will do their best to chip in and deliver entertainment.

And dont get a house with a tin roof that is unless you like to hear tropical rain hammering down on it creating a deafening noisy.

Motorbikes and the Kwaai Lek will arrive at regular intervals in the afternoon until it gets dark, then the dogs and ducks take over.

At night the illegal logging starts, but that is usually not in the direct vicinity of villages, so you can only just hear the cheerfull choir of chainsaws.

There are no phone lines in "my village" so you would definitely have a problem with internet access as I suspect could be a problem in many places.

When it comes to entertainment one could really face a problem here as I assume most farang wouldnt take much part in the village life as such in regards to working the fields etc.etc. As other posters suggest you would probably wanna live in a place not too far away from a main town with mayby a small farang community.

No matter how good your thai is I would suspect you would once in a while like to meet other farangs. I sure did.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived