ex pat pay rates?

thai3

>> $500 per day is either good or bad depending on how long the contract is for and how easy it is to get more work. It's not too hard to think of examples of people billing that much *per hour* for contract work. <<

That's the going rate for projects on contract in Europe too (EUR 500 - EUR 800, management consultants up to EUR 2500). This amount is hard to get, when you are permanently employed. Additionally, there are more opportunites when it comes to taxes and social insurances. However, you are right. The key is, that you are able to sell at least 100 days per year. Then you have more time for recreation or education. It is more risky, but if you are alone, are not divorced, have no children, have no interests to pay for debts, then it is definitely more exciting (travelling and seeing many different companies) and the given opportunities are better.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But how secure really is 'long term employment' when there's a one month notice period in most peoples contracts? The only people with any sort of worthwhile guarantee of long term are the guys hat have been sent to LOS from their home country.

Besides, short term contracts can overrun, or be shortened, and I'd prefer to earn one years money in 6 months and have 6 months holiday, or the opportunity for another job.

What's "work"? :neener:

I suppose it's that thing my boss keeps asking me to do? :dunno:

Anyway, for 'occupying' my desk (in between beer breaks :drunk:), I am more than adequately compensated for the inconvenience. :angel:

However, having just looked at my pay slip, I am disturbed that my income tax deductions per month seem to be entirely responsible for me personally funding the whole of the governments '30 baht health scheme' :cussing::censored:

Bit late coming back in on this one. Hope it's not too cold for you in New Jersey.

As you point out you've got a lifetime of experience and tons of qualifications. However, unless you got a DOS position at a language school, (that is if you wanted to teach English), how much more would someone like you get over a newbie with next to no quals and little or no exp? Probably only a couple of thousand baht extra a month. Even DOS gigs don't appear to pay that much, I've seen them advertised for 40-50k baht a month.

Perhaps there are better paying teaching jobs out there that don't get advertised. I was talking to a DOS in Beijing early last year and he offered me 14k renminbi on the spot when most adverts at the time for Beijing were in the region of 4k per month. Still not a lot of cash. I was also talking with a guy who's mate allegedly pulls in 90k baht a month for teaching art and sculpting on the eastern seaboard near Pattaya. Must be an international school for that.

Yeah, it is colder than a witch's tit here at the moment, but no more snow in the picture for at least the next few days. Maybe a White Christmas...

I am not sure what your reference to DOS is. If it refers to my employer (full-time and now part-time), I was never a language teacher there. I had another full-time job. Now, I do some consulting/teaching, but language.

My teaching jobs in Bangkok have all been part-time either working for schools or Thai companies, and one private tutoring gig as I mentioned.

I am really retired now and just work six months a year. I really don't want to teach English, but if I good position opened up, I would take it. Also, I had opportunities to teach my area of expertise on a graduate level at Webster's, Chula, and ABAC, but the highest salary offered was 60K a month. OK, but much less than I make part-time with my former employer.

Archived