ex pat pay rates?

thai3

Yes I have taught and work in a College, I do not teach now as I don't think I am good enough at it.Pay rate in the UK for PT teaching in College is just about three times this 350 baht figure, so I consider 350 baht an hour in LOS a very good pay rate.

I have been in education for 15 years and I have seen far too many poor, unmotivated and downright lazy teachers to have much respect for the profession as a whole. Sure there are a few dedicated teachers like the ones we all remember from our own school days, but far too often people are in it for what they can get out of it rather than what they can give.

So no I won't keep quiet as I think I am entitled to an opinion on this-peter

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil,

I take your point, but there usually comes a point in the classroom where the teacher uses only the target language - at least thats what happened to us in the second semester of German at Uni. 'Tough going' is an understatement, and I still believe that the only way to really learn a language is to surround oneself with native speakers and experience the culture alongside the language. Many of the posts on this board bear that out.

I suspect that knowing Thai would be an *asset*, but more as a means of establishing a rapport with the students than as an instructional tool, but then I've never tried to teach a language, particularly one as obfuscated as English.

What you need to understand about teaching, what I perhaps failed to include when I wrote that particular piece in last weeks Stickman Weekly, is that that is the hourly rate for teaching English. You are NOT paid for your preparation, which would typically be 20 to 25 minutes per hour in class. This effectively lowers the hourly rate by 30%+, meaning people would be working for less than 250 baht an hour for actual time worked. To me, this is low. You may disagree and that is fair enough, but I would not work for such a paltry sum.

Stick

Its easy, just talk English.

It requires a lot of patience but its the best way otherwise the students relapse into the native language then anytime it becomes hard they just ask you to explain it in Thai which defeats the point. You start small with easy things and build up.

Oh, before I forget, one of my colleagues commands 1,500 baht an hour for private tuition, to well to do kids. He teaches about 20 – 25 hours a month. This along with his monthly salary of 70K after tax gives him a decent amount and results in good living in Thailand. Teachers with a few lucky breaks can do very well indeed.

Stick

OCgringo said:

I think an English teacher that is fluent in Thai would get good money, but if all you are doing is teaching English in English then your value is very little.

You need to be able to explain in Thai why something is said a certain way

my 2 bahts worth....

I dont think you shouldnt use the native language in the class at all. It then becomes far too easy for the students to revert to type and become lazy b****** and ask you to explain it in Thai when the going gets tough. Defeats the purpose of you being there.

The value is that you are a native speaker and (should) know how to use the language properly and hopefully they will pick up your good habits and maybe even learn something.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion but have you actually taught here and lived here?

In your original post you never mentioned your background so now rereading, the post does carry a bit more weight. But unless you have, it still reads like yet another attack on an easy target from someone that doesnt know - with comments like

second rate degrees,
ludicrously high rates of pay
and
moaning teachers

Your post did not go down well in this particular staffroom.

To save boring everyone else I will put the other points in my reply to your pm.

Archived