Thais And Engagement/Wedding Rings

Torneyboy

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to agree with the consensus which is that rings are not normal here. But they are appreciated. My wife still loves her engagement ring and she's had it about 2.5 years. We both wear wedding bands.

It's one western custom they take to no problem.

The problem is getting a good diamond ring in Thailand without getting ripped off. I had a friend who significantly overpaid for a little diamond for his fiancee, soon to be wife. She ended up losing it (in their car). He recently told me he had replaced it and hope he got a better deal but somehow doubt it.

To buy quality diamonds here you have to know where to go and what to look for. Not at all easy.

Hi Zaad

That saved you some cash ::

I don''t wear a watch either....only when overseas so i know what time it is so i do not miss appointments etc.

At home ...clocks in my computers,in every second shop just do not feel the need to have one.

I buy one in Los 190thb and give it away to a child the day i leave ..get a nice smile in return.

TB,

At least the few thai-falang weddings that have some knowledge about, engagement rings were not part of it.

It might be for the very wealthy but middle of the road folks, if engagement rings are, they downplay it. I rarely see a ring on a thai women let alone two.

The wedding ring seems to play the dual function (as how westerners perceive it)

If the thais catch on to two wedding rings watch out both from a business generation standpoint (more jewelry sold) and an individual getting more material wealth out of you.

Lets keep this western custom (if it is?) away from thai ears.....

Cardinalblue

Hi torneyboy,

Boy that is a good question :up:

I don't think it's really part of the Thai culture :dunno:

I think it's part of the yunger generation, I feel that they would expect an engagement ring ;)

I gave my TGF an engagement ring, to me it was what I needed to do :neener:

She didn't ask for it, and she was surprised :grinyes:

She was more concern about the 2 bit's of gold :dunno:

Very good question :grinyes:

paulc31 :angel::grinyes:

Sounds as though we have had pretty similar circumstances behind our marriages.

Ours too, all happened pretty promptly, to say the least.

But with regards to rings, be it for the engagement or wedding, well I have to say that she didn't really take to the idea one little bit.

Even though she does now wear a wedding band, she often tells me that it still feels odd wearing a ring to sybolise being married.....strange but true.....

Archived