• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

p31 says

I gave my TGF an engagement ring, to me it was what I needed to do

She didn't ask for it, and she was surprised

She was more concern about the 2 bit's of gold

Hi p31

I will give her one...just she went out and chose it..and put the deposit down...i would have ...some time :neener:

I came back to my TG after 4 months away and she had a large fake diamond ring on her finger where she used to wear a modest non-engagement ring. Soon thereafter the relationship tanked and I later ran into a friend of hers who said she was getting married next year to a falang (not me!).

TG has since told me she has no falang and is not getting married (I don't believe/trust her in any case).

So, why the engagement ring?

1) For her family to think I was THE ONE when I came back?

2) So the hotel people wouldn't think she was a P4P girl?

3) To send me a not-so-subtle signal that things had changed?

Damned if I know. I didn't ask her at the time because I didn't want to have my suspicions confirmed.

Thoughts anyone?

Hi

If i cant walk in to a shop see and buy and out in under 10 mins..is a bad day.

Christmas soon will have to hit the shops ....in and out..can not stand the searching for stuff.

Thats why i am going along with the ring she saw...save hours/days/weeks!

I bet you do however :neener:

[quoteSo, why the engagement ring?

1) For her family to think I was THE ONE when I came back?

2) So the hotel people wouldn't think she was a P4P girl?

3) To send me a not-so-subtle signal that things had changed?

Damned if I know. I didn't ask her at the time because I didn't want to have my suspicions confirmed.

Thoughts anyone?

My GF has worn a fake engagement ring for years now. I think it is to let the world know (esp the cops that hit on her) that she is not available.

In your case, I don't know.

Cent, and Torney,

My ex-wife, from Roi Et, didn't want an engagement ring. Until we'd been back in the USA and married for a while.

My present wife, from Chiangmai, was excited to have an engagement ring. We went shopping for it together and found one we both liked after visiting several shops. I formally gave it to her at an engagement party for close family and friends a few days later.

She took it off for our wedding ceremony and I got to present it to her for a 2nd time as part of the sinsot, along with the gold necklace and bracelet.

Regards, JEff

Cent said:

Torney,

Most Thais in Isaan don't give or wear rings with the marriage. I think it isn't really a custom here, but has become more prevelent over the years due to the Western culture exchange. More so in BKK I think than upcountry still.

I bought my wife an engagement ring/diamond and gave it to her when I formally proposed to her. Telling her we'd get married a year from the date I proposed and gave her the ring. I bought it in the states and brought it over for that purpose. We bought our wedding bands in our favorite (well HER favorite anyways) gold shop in Pattaya a few months before the wedding. They were both inscribed inside in Thai with our names and the wedding date (Thai dates/year).

But as I said, I see very few of the married couples up in Surin and the village (especially the village) wearing gold wedding bands, and even less with a diamond engagement ring.It never was a Thai custom. Most give gold necklaces and braclets with the sin sot ceremony which basically I believe took the place of the traditional wedding band/diamond engagement ring I think. Plus what Thai guy in his right mind wants a gold wedding band showing all he is married, to the puying he is trying to butterfly with? :-)

Cent

Archived