Shipping a small package from USA-BKK

OCgringo

Hi.....not sure if this is the right forum.....

I need to send a part over to BKK to get made, maybe 2 lbs/ 1 kg

normally I would put it in a Global Priority Mail envelope and just post it

but this part will not fit in the larger Global Priority Mail envelope.

So how "safe" is it to just send it regular Airmail ?

its not that the part is worth anything , its just the only one I have !

or should I step up and send it UPS - Fedex (are there fees for the parcel reciever in BKK)

the company it is going to is on the outskirts of BKK, still a BKK address/post code

thanks for your advise

STEP UP >>>>>>>> if you want to insure it's delivery. For obvious reasons I recommend UPS (ok, Upser ::)

No problems, no receiver charges, and IT WILL GET THERE.

I always send Global Priority (post office). Take 3-5 days to come to bkk. have sent around 30 without a problem, some had $ in them. think the po has global priority they can put on the box or cut the front of g p envelope and paste on the box, think that will fly. Good luck

Fed x $36 a letter size envelope.

i have had countless parcels sent to me here from all over, never a problem. most go through fine, but once a while you get one where you have to pay some inflated customs duty. but you still get it.

i remember two parcels which were severely delayed, but after tracking them the problem was found to be on the european side and not on the thai side.

i have seen though people getting things sent to adresses in some guesthouse or hotel having things stolen out of their parcels when i lived in a guesthouse a long time ago. i don't know if it still happens.

Hi,

I've only sent one Global Priority envelope. Was three months ago, and still hasn't gotten there. :onfire:

If you really need it to get there, do not go through the US postal service. From my single experience, they suck.

HT

Despite HTs bad experience, I have sent numerous packages USPS Global Priority (and Thai EMS on the opposite isde) and have not had a problem. I also believe that you can insure a Priority package (but collecting on it is a nightmare).

As far as UPS, FedEx, DHL, et al go, I have had problems with all of them. Not in getting packages to me, but with excessive duty. They do not question the customs officer and simply pay why they ask. The receiver must pay that amount to get the package delivered. Some recent examples include B500 for a stack of 30 laser printed pieces of paper (part of a manual) from the States and B1000 for 1 each size of 4 empty DVD/CD cases being sent as samples from Hong Kong and clearly marked. I refused that one and two weeks later it was redelivered to me, no charge LOL. TIT :)

I am in the manufacturing biz in SE Asia. PM me if I can be of help getting that part made for you!

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:As far as UPS, FedEx, DHL, et al go, I have had problems with all of them. Not in getting packages to me, but with excessive duty. They do not question the customs officer and simply pay why they ask. The receiver must pay that amount to get the package delivered. Some recent examples include B500 for a stack of 30 laser printed pieces of paper (part of a manual) from the States and B1000 for 1 each size of 4 empty DVD/CD cases being sent as samples from Hong Kong and clearly marked. I refused that one and two weeks later it was redelivered to me, no charge LOL. TIT :)

I've also had many issues with excessive customs duty. My first experience was when I sent over a carton of my clothes from the US to Thailand after just moving here- and was asked to pay 5000 Baht for the honor of receiving my old underwear and undershirts. I refused to pay and told them they could have the carton... and it wound up being delivered to me at no charge a week or so later.

The customs folks seem to be *very* opportunist.

Worst experiences were a flat metal disc around 6' in diameter (spare part) worth about $2 for which we had to pay 4000 Baht in duty as it was needed in an emergency, and 5 boxes of kids clothing samples, being held for 100,000 Baht! My secretary wound up being able to reduce the duty on that one to around 10,000 Baht or so, but I was very pissed at the time. Just last week had to pay 400 Baht for a single piece of CD-R media with some of our company files burned on it. Problem is that there seems to be little control over what the customs officials hold and for how much. Very often I need to get samples rushed over and am thus forced to pay crazy prices.

And the customs officers only work at their convenience- no possibility to rush jobs or pay them to work overtime. I've had at least two experiences whereby cartons of samples were stuck in customs for long periods of time (over a week to assess the value) and I couldn't clear them until after my customer had already left Thailand. Needless to say, we missed getting orders for Thai factories to export back to our customer- that's hundreds of thousands of dollars lost to the Thai economy because of the ineptitude and corruption of Thai customs officials.

I'd complain but I know it would do nothing, except probably inflate my duties and slow down processing even further! :banghead:

Cheers!

Pom Michael said:

In most cases when dealing with air cargo (not air courier), the problem is not with the customs officers but with the people that are between you and the custom officer.

My experience has been with various couriers (DHL, FedEx, UPS, depending on the customer).

A friend of mine owns a business importing clothing from China into Thailand via sea freight. She has a customs broker who makes sure everything goes smoothly (no doubt involving some 'tai-toh' means) and is ok. I have a far worse time of it with my small courier packages than she does.

Cheers!

Archived