Archaic Business Practices in LOS

I've just got let off a little steam about doing business here in Thailand. Don't get me wrong, happy to be here and all that. It's just that I am constantly AMAZED that anything ever gets done around here and I absolutely can't believe some of the ridiculous business practices that are taken for granted by Thais.

For instance, if I make a bank deposit in Pattaya I must pay the bank a "commission" because my account is actually in a Bangkok branch. The more I deposit the higher the commission. I have a commerical account and do a considerable business in Pattaya and make a substancial monthly deposit, hence I'm paying a substancial commission. Guess I'll apply for an ATM card, or something. Depositing out of town checks is even worse.

Get this, one of my customers in a very large super market owes me for previously sold product. OK, I already know that although my wife and the company's accountant have been talking about the account and adding and subtracting for the last 20 minutes, there's no way I should get my hopes up and even think about maybe getting a check in my hand before I leave the store today. But now why is my wife asking me for 22 Baht? Oh, the company needs me to buy an EMS stamp so that they can mail the check that they owe to me. I see, no 22 Baht, no check in the mail, but they'll be happy to hold it here at the store until I can return to pick it up.

Try walking into any small business and asking for the owner or manager. You'd think you just yelled, "Fire!". Everyone heads for the hills. Many times I've been told by the proprietor, "Boss, he no here." And, of course, "no come back long time."

There are lots more examples. Don't even get me started about dealing with beauracracy. Anyway, I'm tired of complaining. Thanks for letting me get it out. crazy.gif" border="0

Archived