Thais Just Walk Off

Torneyboy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
khunsanuk said:

Hi,

Might be specific to those people as whenever my wife's friends come over to the house they say hello, and goodbye when the leave. Many of the girls even wai me.

Sanuk!

Hi

In my home all is fine...only 6-10 all wai and polite.

Mainly at larger functions family picnics etc...all day together and at the end all drift away .

Torneyboy,

I've noticed this myself happening quite a lot, enough for me to comment to the wife about it. Seemed strange to me too. I wrote about it in a few of my Village Life stories a few years back. I've never gotten a truly satisfactory explanation. Neither from the wife and other Thais I've asked about this, nor from any clued in farang that might know why they do this. Not rude in their minds, just in ours.

I believe it is cultural, and agree with whoever said that they just don't usually make a big deal about saying goodbye before they leave. They make the big deal of saying hello though! :-) (I was told something about it not being considered good luck to make a big deal of saying goodbye.) I'd noticed I'd be talking to someone in the village, then I'd turn around to do something, momentarily, and the next I'd see them just walking out the door, without as much as a "see ya later". Some would just walk in the door, look around, give me a look over, then turn and walk out the door. Made me feel like a fucking zoo exhibit when they did this. A bit disconcerting. It is odd behaviour to a farang, to say the least. We consider this rude, but they seem not to think the same about this.

Hopefully Jasmine or someone else can throw a little light onto this for us befuddled, and interested in this cultural aspect, farang. It's so common, and I've become so used to it upcountry, that I've damned near started to fall into the habit of this myself. :banghead::shhh::cussing:

I used to fuck with their heads and make a big point of saying goodbye, even rushing out the door to catch up with whoever did this just to make sure to say goodbye. They acted as though I'd lost my fucking mind! :-) They also sometimes seemed very uncomfortable when I did this, and would reluctantly say goodbye back to me. I do love to sometimes play games with their heads when I see some things seem to throw them off a bit. What the hell. Not a big deal. Just something odd between the differing cultures.

::

Cent

A Thai told me that a lot of these strange (to us) quirks of behaviour are perhaps so that both they and you can avoid any situations where you might display emotion and thereby lose face.

Another is when you give someone a present. They will generally not open it in front of you, but just put it to one side until they are alone. This can seem quite rude to us.

It strikes me there might be some validity to this theory. Apart from some histrionic bargirl dramatics, I have often been surprised that when leaving Thailand for some length of time, the 'goodbye' I recieve from Thai friends is very muted. Certainly no 'Come back soon', 'We'll miss you', 'Remember to write'. It is always as if I am just going away for five minutes.

ranma

Archived