Thais Just Walk Off

Torneyboy

Hi

Haven't noticed the present thing..yet.

My wife has the gift unwrapped and the item out in 0.111 of a second..and is so nice will say it is lovely etc ....even if she has no idea what the item is ::

Asks me later how (Says her name) do? Ha ha .

Oh well ,i guess in time Thai Culture will start to sink in

::

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate people fucking around with my private stuff, and hate parents who don't tell their little brats not to fuck with my stuff.

I know what you mean.

Unfortunately I know too many parents here who don't tell their kid(s) to behave and I hate that.

My girl and I were once having dinner at Pizza Hut with her colleague/friend (35) and her two kids. The kids are 7 and 8. The kids had decided where we'd have dinner that night, go figure how that had happened, kids choosing the place? yeah right.

Off we go.

During dinner (big pizza with some sidedishes, garlic bread,chicken wings etc.) the daughter asks mom if she wants that chicken wing on her plate as she's too full to continue eating. Mom agreed, grabbed that wing and was about to put her teeth into it when I asked her to stop.

She looked at me with a surprise and I turned to her daughter. I asked her daughter (in Thai to avoid any miscommunication) if there was something wrong with that wing. She said 'no'. Ok, I asked her whether or not that wing had fallen on the floor 5 minutes ago. She hesitated and said 'yes'. So then I asked her why she wants her mom to eat it...her mom 'answered' that question by telling me it was OK, and left the wing where it belonged, untouched on the plate.

The kid didn't get a single word, how nice.

Not a minute later they, the boy and the girl, start telling me and my girl how big her mom's behind is??? And that every farang has a big butt, me included. Damn, where have they left their manners, talking this way in public. Their mom acts as if it's the most common thing to talk about the size of asses during dinner in a restaurant / foodshop. She's a beautiful woman, I must say, but has a slightly bigger butt than the average (flat-butted) Thai woman. I was about to tell them how disgusted and sick I was about the manners her kids had shown not only for the last 30 minutes, but for lots of other occasions where her kids had shown lack of manners, but saw the look on my girl's face and knew what she DIDN'T want me to do. I accepted, made a quick checkbin and we all left. The hell we'll be having dinner with those monkeys again.

This mom is a kind (educated and rich) woman, but has really no idea how to teach her kids some manners. What a great lack of respect, manners discipline, you name it. I'd slap both their little butts till I'd get some satisfactory behavior as words are obviously no good for their ears.

the good bye here is not a grand affair usually, people generally briefly announce that they are off, which is followed by a shart exchange of wais according to age and hirarchal status (and in the villages often just a "bpai la doe").

and personally, i find it very refreshing, no awkward moments when people don't really know anymore what else to say but have to go through some extended ritual of superficial pleasantries.

as to the other rambles about manners, a display of good or bad manners is nothing uniquely thai, or any other race/nationality. it's human.

Hi,

Interesting experience, I must say.

In my experieince, they always say good bye, even in functions that I am not a host.

Last gala I went in DC for the King birthday, people made a point to say "good bye" to me and I was not a host.

Perhaps some people thought they were not noticed by you? :neener: So it makes no differences? ::

Jasmine ::

Jasmine: That's cause yer special (wish I could say it in that saturday night live voice).

With most of the "middle" class and up folks do say goodbye to the host, but not necessarily to the others at the party, leastwise in my experience. Maybe cause most of those people I deal with have been westernized to some extent or other.

Notice other things tend to be more organic, but they weren't organized to the same extent either.

<<burp>>

Cent

The only time that the kids seem to get restrained is when the littlest one, a 6 year old lad, touches my hairy arm for the nth time. He's actually quite good fun most of the time and we have many happy minutes of him kung fu kicking and punching me.

Probably a lot of the personal space/stuff issues do result from living on top of each other in fairly humble circumstances. This am, gf got up at 3.15am to go into town to attend pre Xmas midnight mass, (it starts at 4am). When it was over she returned with 4 of them in tow at 6am. As I'd been on the brandy till gone 11 last night there was no way I was getting up. She told me that they wanted to use the lavatory. Now to get o the apartment they had to go past their own home, which is 50 metres off the main drag out of town, and travel a couple of klicks. The khazi is accessed via the bedroom where I was sprawled comatose and naked, (not a pretty sight). So after being smothered with blankets they troop past me to evacuate their bowels. I lay there revelling in the sounds of plops and poops. Then they leave the khazi door open so I get the full aroma. They hung around till 7am eating breakfast and chattering.

When I eventually get up and casually mention the fact that they could have gone home to use the crapper she tells me that the problem is that the kids "like" me. They treat me as a friend. Hence they feel comfortable trashing the gaffe. They even wanted to stay on past 7am and watch tv and promised to be quiet. Oh, well that makes it alright then.

Archived