A bargirl's standing in the village

MaiLuk

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JP12 and all,

"The notion that no one in the village knows anything is nonsense."

Exactly true. And yes you are right, gossiping is an Olympics event in the village. Lots of time on their hand in between crops. Lots of drinking/drunk women sitting around gossiping for hours on end too I've seen most days. Lots of bad blood between differing families fuels the malicious gossip too, family feuds, jilted boyfriends, ex-husbands, jealous neighbors, etc. Once the family starts recieving more monies than are possible for a lass to earn waitressing, working a shop or as a seamstress, hotel clerk, maid, and all that, they wink and nod and assume exactly where the money is likely to be coming from. It's an open secret. And you can bet your ass her parents know too, and continue to take the cash, some demanding more and more, sending sweet little Sis along when she's old enough to be taught the ropes. It's the worst part of the whole thing. It's not so bad when there is a choice by the woman to do whatever job she wants to earn a living, even as a prostitute. But for parents to push so hard for the big bucks, knowing the only way an uneducated farm girl can earn these bucks is on her back is disgusting. Many girls start off in regular jobs, but earn so little the pressure and temptation is just overwhelming I'd imagine under the pressure exerted on them by good old Mom and Dad. Horsewhipping should be re-instated for some of these scumbags.

Cent

nod and assume exactly where the money is likely to be coming from

--------------------------

Which, IMO, or intuition, is no great shame or finger-poiting material from kins or neighbours, as village folks are rather "live and let live" and pragmatic (if "it" works out for all concerned: no complaint), and truly any sense of shame or guilt about the deed to get money is voided by the positive reason behind it. We farangs can talk all night about the sorry aspects, but I still have to meet one girl who feels sorry doing what must be done to get thru the next day, and possibly longer.

To sum up,a BG who brings a little baht home is better viewed that the no-BG who does not or can't help back home.

I suspect it's a big difference from the country folks in France or US farmland.

"is no great shame or finger-poiting material from kins or neighbours"

I disagree; there are lots of moral judgements going on, but not enough to turn down the money.

Cent described it very well. It is not confined to just the women, the men do their part of gossiping as well.

TH

pattaya127 said:

To sum up,a BG who brings a little baht home is better viewed that the no-BG who does not or can't help back home.

"Better viewed"? I am not so sure of that. I know of a couple of BG's who get treated like shit by their families no matter how much money they send back. One girl is the youngest of four daughters and the only one who is a prostitute and she claims that her parents care more for the other daughters than her. She is the only one who sends money back home and she is the 1st person the family calls if money is needed.

Another girl claims that her parents always tell her how bad she is and she is not a good daughter unlike her other sisters but again she is the one that everyone in the family calls when they need money.

I would say that they are " better viewed" as cash machines more than from an appreciation or status point.

well, possibly, i was not getting into specifics for this family or that one, and i alluded at the general outlook on these girls, at village level. Many just bring or send a stipend that really helps and is a response to family needs rather than greed.

I maintain people are not too judgemental, and not a great stigma is attached to that way of making money, in poorer settings. I tend to think they are affected more personally, within themselves, by the profession than socially.

Guest lazyphil

ime and speaking very little Thai its hard to say what my mrs standing is/was in the shanty area in bkk where shes from--I remember the morning we left the house to go to the airport to fly to England there were a few neighbours with tears in their eyes and one old bloke in his 80's came up to me saying something in Thai to me holding my hand with a vice like grip in tears--he nearly had me going--we just had a very nice house built a few miles out of town and I have to say my mrs is very happy the family is moving away from this place and seems not to hold any sentimental feelings about leaving either so I really dont know :dunno:

Archived