High season? Seems pertty quiet to me...

successful marketing

----------------------------

Well, I am one who always said that sex only, at any price would not sell Thailand to sex tourists, the same attraction that many find in this special place (still) and its people, though they may not be hard core sannokers, is the same that strikes more focussed sanook-indulgers.

It's not even fun to compare, nor fair for them, other countries to Thailand (with the exception of one or 2 south american countries where fun is serious business), they may have everything Thailand has to offer, except for one little thing: Thailand!

I know you live there, and you may get blase, jaded, used to it, but i can tell you that for many of us, even as we rant about so many aspects of Thailand during the year, just the first breath of unfresh air, stepping down the custom escalator is one of the most special feeling in the world.

I hope Cent does not ask me to substantiate this ::, because there ain't no explaining it, you got it or you don't, and it reaches deeper than one's pants.

If some feel it in Hong Kong or Tokyo, Manila, or PP/Saigon, good for them too....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

many new hotels being built.

------------------------

Happy New Year, WW. Where the hell are you, BTW?

I think the glut of construction is thai-related, Pattaya is definitely fast becoming a big residential and job hub for tourism-unrelated populations. I said ti once, but if up at 7AM, the number of vehicles driving kids to school, and people to work, out or in the city is huge. For sure, they do not all have a travel agency to open so early. And we know most hotel personal live on the premises. A thought.

I still think you guys forget that the western monies are being replaced by asian tourism, in huger numbers, which includes domestic tourism. I wish i could find the numbers that showed that for the first time domestic tourism circulated more bahts than international. not sure about that, i will try to google my way to it again.

I also think that Thaksin and decision makers are not beyond foregoing bean-counting for the sake of cleaning up a bit. the cost of losses (human and economical) thru drug and booze indulgence in the Kigdom is probably in their mind too.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toxin is thinking longer-range than sulky, disaffected falangs give him credit for. Clean up the sex industry (contain & control) because there is a HUGE market developing next door. Yes, China is getting rich and the gov't is letting them travel more easily. Way more baht potential down the road than drunk horny falangs (half of whom will be dead in 10 years if what i see on the streets in Pattaya is any indication).

P127,

Just my personal observation and opinion. I agree with most of your thoughts on Pattaya, the asian(Korean, Japanese, Chinese[mainland & Taiwan]) infusion is tremendous, with the tour group packages that are being offered. I have also noticed an increase in the number of euro families that visit Pattaya also. The goverment wants these types of tourist (positive image). These tourist don't really 'party' like your classic punter. So the hotels are filling with asian and euro family tour packages, leaving the punter, with less options. Thus, seems a bit quiet compared to previous years. The only comment I have, it's the punter and BG that built that town. They were the 'seed' of economic development, the 'sanuk' industry pretty much laid the foundation and infrastructure for Pattaya. As Pattaya inevitably progressess to a 'normal' seaside tourist destination, it will always owe it's beginnings to the (First the Viet Nam era GI's) 'punter' & the BG's.

Chok dee,

HOKS

Whilst I was unclear, you correctly picked up that I was talking strictly P4P scene (I'll edit for others). I agree that Thailand has other special qualities that make it desireable and have nothing to do with P4P.

But I stand behind my comments on the P4P scene.

Cheers,

SD

suadum said:

"Thailand is not going to rid itself of any type of prodtitution soon, but as someone said, taking the sanook out of it will eventually have effect on that side of tourism, unless a new type of sex tourists, agreeing to be told what to do and when, tales over."

Having lived in Asia for 16 years in six different countries, what is funny to me is that Thailand does not really offer anything that is not available in any other Asian country. Thailand is just more "in-your-face" and arguably less costly but not for long. In fact, it is cheaper to get laid by a pretty young thing in Hong Kong (can do so for HK$350 or B1750 all in) or even "free" by expat-chasing local lasses in the more modern countries.

IMHO, the Thai P4P industry is a victim of successful marketing, not necessarily the only or best product.

Cheers,

SD

Hi

Have been to honkers many times and found the p4p to be way way expensive.

The girls from the bars down the end of Hennessy..AUD600 say THB14k-16K for take out..and back by 12PM.

Where are these cheaper ladies? ::

The cheaper ladies can be found in the walk ups around Mong Kok. The walk-ups have neon signs in the shape of an arrow - you can't miss them.

Thais and Filipinas are around the HK$300 level (about B1500), Chinese a bit more at HK$330. Massage, BBBJ, shag, 30 minutes on the premises. Some of the walk-ups even have 'menus' in English for their international clientelle.

Can't compete on the VFM stakes with Soi Yodsak but considerably cheaper than walk-ups and massage parlours in London.

Greenlander

Archived