High season? Seems pertty quiet to me...

I was talking to an expat colleague today and he is already sending out job applications elsewhere. As he put it, the only reason to work for the low ages paid by Thai unis is the wild nightlife in Bangkok. But with the nightlife being cut down so much, he's decided to go to Korea, Taiwan or even the Middle East -- and then come here for holidays. He said to me, "If I'm just going to sit in my apartment at night, I can do that anywhere." He added that for those of us with families and ties here, it is different. But for a single guy, this govmt is ruining the attraction. The PM says he is in favour of education, but the govmt unis have not raised the base pay since 1992! And think of how much things have gone up since then.

The unis themselves seem to realise the problems, since they cannot get qualified lecturers the way they used to. But do the pols realise what they are doing? Or maybe more importantly, do they even give a ####???

All is not well in LOS.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"green"] The unis themselves seem to realise the problems, since they cannot get qualified lecturers the way they used to. But do the pols realise what they are doing? Or maybe more importantly, do they even give a ####??? [/color]

Yes they do realize they are starving the education system. That is why they send THEIR kids overseas (NZ, OZ, USA, UK, etc.) for education. :rolleyes:

He's some stats from the TAT website:

http://www.tat.or.th/stat/web/static_index.php

International Tourists

Year

Average Number of Tourists

Percent Change from Prior Year

Average Length of Stay (in days)

Average Baht/person/day

Millions of Baht per year

Percent Change from Prior Year

(Million) (%) (Days) (Baht) (Baht Year) (% Change)

1995 6.95 +12.7 7.43 3,693 190,765 +31.37

1996 7.19 +3.46 8.23 3,706 219,364 +14.99

1997 7.22 +0.41 8.33 3,672 220,754 +0.63

1998 7.76 +7.53 8.40 3,713 242,177 +9.70

1999 8.58 +10.5 7.96 3,705 253,018 +4.48

2000 9.51 +10.8 7.77 3,861 285,272 +12.75

2001 10.06 +5.82 7.93 3,748 299,047 +4.83

2002 10.80 +7.33 7.98 3,754 323,484 +8.17

2003 9.70 -10.15 7.96 3,750 289,600 -10.47

Interesting stats - thanks

Wonder how they calculate the spending per day.??? Wonder if it includes barfines and $$ to the girls. That might put the numbers a little higher. :beer:

Many of my friends are flying to South America and Eastern Europe instead of Asia for partying.

BKK farang party scene certainly is not as busy as it was during the internet stock bubble years. Every farang oriented go-go bar was full, the discos were full, Sukhumvit and the Patpong areas were packed. Drive past massage parlors that were full of cars. Friends would tell me that if you didn't get into a brothel before 9pm then you were left with the scraps. Today when you walk into some places there may be a handful of guys.

What I do notice is alot more mid to upscale venues that cater to monied Thais such as discos, pubs and lounges. Maybe because the Thai economy has rebounded enormously for the well to do.

Suk 20 thru 40 have alot more places springing up out of the blue.

RCA is being developed more.

I hang out alot more on Kao San Rd than I used to in the past,which has plenty of mid to upmarket places and tons of Thai chicks.

The real party scene in BKK now is where you will see a good mix of Thais and Farangs hanging together in a non or not obvious P4P environment.

The 500bt farang tourist(500bt hotel, 500bt barfine and 500bt ST) is a dinosaur.

Yes, quite agree with you old chap. The Thai business oriented establishments are very busy and the farang night life places declining in importance. This will even be more apparent if Nana and Cowboy are hopefully left outside the new "entertainment zones" and thus obliged to close at midnight.

I, for one, don't care a fig if Bangkok and Pattaya lose their importance as centres for sex tourism. What Thailand needs are not fat middle aged male tourists, but youngsters and family groups that are interested in enjoying the wonderful cultural sites and beaches that the Kingdom offers.

Taskin and his Thai Rak Thai Party , in my humble opinion, is doing exactly the right thing by discouraging Europe's undesirables coming to these shores. Let them do their excessive lager drinking and all that goes with such low life in Blackpool and Southern Spain. Thailand has a wonderful future, but it should be based on retaining its original character as a Buddhist Kingdom.

Zaad said:

Hi Kurtz,

..the vietnamese BG are more fun than the thais.

Again, no experience myself but please do tell me why you feel they're more fun than the Thai BG's. I'm not questioning the above, if you think they're more fun then they're more fun (for you), but what I'd like to know is why exactly. Could you provide some details?

just that they are more active when they have sex.i am one of them that mean that thaigirls can be very good,but they can unlike the vietnamese become to passive some times.the most of the westerners i know,who have buisness and wife in thailand,love to go to phnom penh on their visatrips,and that is not only to get the stamp.another good thing is that the vietnamese BG know that they are BG,and do not talking about their family,and their sick buffalo.

"the vietnamese BG know that they are BG,and do not talking about their family,and their sick buffalo."

Seems to me there was little or no chance of establishing a 'relationship' with those Vietnamese girls in PP. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but unlike Thai BGs they mostly seemed to be working off debts. :)

chuckwoww said:

"the vietnamese BG know that they are BG,and do not talking about their family,and their sick buffalo."

Seems to me there was little or no chance of establishing a 'relationship' with those Vietnamese girls in PP. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but unlike Thai BGs they mostly seemed to be working off debts. :)

if you want a relationship with the vietnamese,you can do that.like with all prostetutes you will not get the odds on your side,and it will cost you money like in thailand.i think the vietnamese girls are good in bed,but i wold prefer a khmer girl if i want a relation.not many of my friends in thailand are happy with their wives.many weterners i met in cambodia recommend khmer girls,say they are faithful.i think in future more westerners will merry khmer girls.

"if you want a relationship with the vietnamese,you can do that.like with all prostetutes you will not get the odds on your side,and it will cost you money like in thailand.i think the vietnamese girls are good in bed,but i wold prefer a khmer girl if i want a relation.not many of my friends in thailand are happy with their wives.many weterners i met in cambodia recommend khmer girls,say they are faithful.i think in future more westerners will merry khmer girls."

I can't speak for all Vietnamese girls being good in bed. The only one's I met were in Pnom Penh and I wasn't there long enough to fuck them all.

This is probably off topic but I did get involved with one lovely Vietnamese girl in PP and we spent quite a bit of time together. Language was a problem but we had a lot of fun. She was totally tied to her place of employment though. I'd take her out for a night but she'd be back there next day like a pin to a magnet. My understanding from talking to various expats was that taking the girls out for more than a few days involved complicated and expensive deals with brothel owners and the girl's family. They seemed less free that way than Thai bar girls with families but of course it's all relative (pun intended).

Can't talk much about Khmer girls. I met one in Martinis who seemed nice. She managed to convert an all night deal into short time somehow. Still wonder about that. :)

Archived