Budda Pendant

matty

Gold shops have them. Also, in Phantip Plaza, there are many places that sell them, cost is relative, 20THB to several million BHT! If you buy a decent one, maybe 400THB, then a gold case for maybe 2000THB more or so. I would recomend the case be purchased in Jarawat (China town), see the post about repairing a Budda pendant in Shopping? for my recomendations. Many gold shops will put one in a case this time of year. Be advised, now is the time when gold soars in price. Thais/Chinese often give it as a new years gift, christmas etc, high season, in a few months it will probably be back down to 7-7100THB/Bht weight+ 450 or so for work.

Just for information.

You never actually "buy" a Bhudda image (or the image of a revered Monk or Phra Khru etc. which is usually what the images are), you "rent" one - if you read Thai you will notice the shops use the word "chao" which means rent or hire, never "khai", sell.

This is a device to show respect for the image, in that it is not a chattel to be bought or sold, rather it is a revered depiction of the Bhudda or the disciple which a mere man cannot "own".

This leads to a related topic, the propriety of a non Bhuddist acquiring and wearing a revered symbol of a religion other than his own. Although I am not a committed Christian by any means I always feel momentary discomfort when I see a Thai Bhuddist woman wearing a Christian Cross as an item of jewelry; Thais are much more closely attached to their religion and I know many feel that a Farang wearing Bhuddist images merely as a souvenir of his visit to Thailand is truly offensive.

Further offence can be caused by not knowing how to treat the image; I recall several years ago seeing a Farang in an upcountry bar remove his quite heavy gold chain with an attached image and put it in his trouser pocket - I guess he was afraid it would be stolen from around his neck. He was immediately confronted by several Thai men in the bar and could not understand why they were so angry with him until I explained that being in his trouser pocket the image was in close proximity to his genitals, a huge display of disrespect which could have resulted in violence had I not been there to explain his mistake.

I would strongly urge anyone to examine their motives before renting / wearing these images.

Archived