"Bush evil man" -What shapes Thai public opinion?

MaiLuk

When my gf in LOS tells a thai that her bf is american, they usually respond with something like "americans not good" or "George Bush is evil man." I tell my gf never mind, but she gets upset about this because she sees it as a critisicm of her bf. So she compensates by wearing clothes that say "US ARMY" or that have a US flag which I get a big kick out of. ::

She also asks me why thais don't like americans, which makes me wonder about the question I put in the title of this thread.

How do Thais arrive at their opinions regarding public matters? What is the major influence shaping opinions: TV, newspapers, Buddhist teachings or other philosophical views, or something else entirely.

I don't want to know if thais are right or wrong. You may have a personal opinion about whether Bush is Satan or the Messiah... I DON'T CARE! :cover::grinyes:

I don't want my thread locked so relax. Tell me who or what tells thais what to think about americans, europeans, arabs, world events, government in thailand etc.

MaiLuk

IMO, this time it has nothing to being thais. Most of the world both loves and loves to hate america. We are now in a period where people have understood that unilateral action to enter war by a superpower in a conflicted region is an unsettling show of force and ingerence.

Within hours of Irak's invasion, my own GF, usually uninterested in politics, was cussing at Bush for waging a war.

See, most of the countries in the world have been either invaded, occupied, used, now or in their history, that includes Thailand, this forms a psyche weary/wary of war, that the american nation does not have.

A majority of mericans tend to think that morality entitles to correct a wrong anywhere, and they trust it's the reason their gvnmt wages war ( :: ::).

Most nations know the double-edge in brandishing beautiful words that often sound hollow after the bodies are counted.

I recognize that in the refusal to join the war in Europe and my GF's reaction.

I can only add that medias in the world are not always highlighting the same News or aspects of a situation as US networks. So opinions about well-foundedness of wars are affected by that as well.

But i would not worry. The world loves America, one way or another.... yes, i know: IMO ::.

A majority of mericans tend to think that morality entitles to correct a wrong anywhere, and they trust it's the reason their gvnmt wages war

No, most americans supported the war out of FEAR. Americans are fearful if you haven't noticed, they wouldn't even fly for months tho the risk of their plane being targeted was 50 million to one, and their fear of WMD that didn't exist caused them to support the war. :doah:

For me, the long term strategic plan behind the invasion was a good idea, and still is if we can pull it off. It was a tremendous risk, and tho the ground war went incredibly well the risk is still great that the overall plan will fail.

So who tells the thais to dislike the americans? Are you saying its just plane old common sense? How come they don't/didn't feel so strongly about the Taliban?

After the WTC happened, I would tell a thai i was american and they would say "Oh, america go boom!" and start laughing. This didn't bother me, I would laugh and say "Taliban go boom!" I'm not a frothing at the mouth patriotic american (i hope they don't show up in this thread :o), just wondering what shapes thais' attitude.

How come they don't/didn't feel so strongly about the Taliban?

----------------------

Did the Taliban invade a country, moreover outside their own continent, and precipitated media coverage in hyper-ventilating? Thais are TV watchers, means they get informed, manipulated and entyertained at the same time, like any of us. I think there is no deep emotion under their evil-branding... I would not pay much attention to it, but that's me.

So who tells the thais to dislike the americans? Are you saying its just plane old common sense? How come they don't/didn't feel so strongly about the Taliban?

I doubt that most Thais dislike Americans per se rather they dislike US government (refered to America) policies and actions especially towards 'them'.

Unfortunately when Bush said it was a choice of 'us' or 'them' most people, especially Thais, didn't want to get involved. They resent being forced to choose, the Taliban, Saddam etc weren't doing anything to them so why pick a fight with them.

I also seriously doubt Thais have any sympathy for the Taliban remember those big Buddhas they destroyed?

"After the WTC happened, I would tell a thai i was american and they would say "Oh, america go boom!" and start laughing."

But what laugh? There are laughs/smiles for happy, funny, sad, fear, pissed off, etc. I cannot believe you met Thais that did not care. Very different than my experience. And I am a well known *very* harsh critic of US politics and actions (some call me a basher, but that is not true).

The most common reaction from collegues in Thailand was shock & sadness (also same in China where I was on 9/11). Most BGs I talked to grew very sad (not acting IMHO) and said "Mai dee. America very sad. Why do? Mai dee mak mak." and changed the subject very quickly.

Cheers,

SD

Nice post P127! Like everywhere else, it is media. Most Thais do not look at Fox or CNN so they have an unbiased (mostly) view of American politics and policies.

Thais also do not have the war-like Judeo-Christian baggage we grew up with and see thing without the religion-colored glasses so prevalent in conflicts. They are smart and form their own (correct IMHO) opinions.

Cheers,

SD

"No, most americans supported the war out of FEAR. Americans are fearful if you haven't noticed,"

Sure, people are always fearful of what they do not know. Americans are the most ignorant people on the planet when it comes to the world, thanks to their media. Stereotype? Yeah, but it's true. Yes, I am a Yank but have not lived there for many, many years.

The administration in power has played to the fears using deliberate wordings to add to the fears without outright lying (even worse IMHO). E.g., have you ever heard a speech about Iraq without WTC or 9/11 in it? Not that Bush is saying that they were involved (that would be a lie), but using word association to imply that fact so well that most US folks beliveve it. All I can say is follow the money if you want to know the real reason. OK, pride/religon has some bit here too, but minor.

OK, too close to politics now. I'll stop.

Cheers,

SD

Archived