"Bush evil man" -What shapes Thai public opinion?

MaiLuk

IMO, this time it has nothing to being thais.

Aw! Shock! Horror! :: You mean, it's just like anywhere else? :cover::grinyes:

FWIW, I agree with you. BTW, everytime my GF sees Dubya on the tv, she says "why does he like war too much?"

IMO, GW just seems to be at the center of any warlike activity in the news since he got elected.

As I think markle hinted, Thais don't like any form of confrontation, even if the situation really demands a decision. So it's probably something to do with that. Even if it's action beneficial in the long term (Average Thai: 'What's that?' ::) and has relieved many Iraqis of persecution, all they know is that George has disturbed their precious concept of harmony. Bad boy.

The administration in power has played to the fears using deliberate wordings to add to the fears without outright lying (even worse IMHO).

This may come as a shock, but this is what is known as leadership. An american president (all of them not just bush, and I mean ALL) have to manipulate the public if they want to accomplish their agenda. Its simply a fact of american style democracy, 280 million americans need to be told what to do otherwise there would be no foreign policy worth speaking of.

It was blatantly obvious to all (except the majority of americans) that even if WMD existed, the US was going into iraq for reasons other than WMD. But if the administration gave the real reasons the public may have said no way. So we needed the WMD argument to convince the public. Do you really think bush is the first to do this?

Don't dwell on the lies because they mean nothing they are a fact of life. The real and only question is whether the actions are benefitting the US without unreasonably stepping on the human rights of others. You can talk to me about dropping bombs sure as hell steps on human rights and i'll listen because that is a legitimate objection. But the lies just don't matter.

The new found activism in foreign policy is the right way to go at this time. In five years it may swing the other way but now is the time to try to shape things. The difficult part is having the vision of where things should be 5, 10 or 20 years from now.

Allowing viral anti americanism to fester in the middle east while sitting around with our thumbs up our ass would only result in a tragedy down the road. People who believe that a country that spends 300 billion on its military should never use it are not being realistic, or do not understand where american interests lie.

There is no soviet to check the US, the US now has an opportunity to change things, to influence world events strategically. Why be opposed to that if your american? France and germany oppose because they see americas activities as benefitting america at their expense, so their opposition is understandable. They lost their contracts with iraq, i'd be pissed off also. Why should individual americans adopt their rhetoric? Because they think its the intellectual "we are the world" thing to do? Its misguided. If france or germany had our dominance they sure as hell would not hesitate. Those who think any move by the US is an evil move are suffering from a bad case of dogmatism, their viewing events thru an anti-american ideology. Probably one-third of americans themselves suffer from this.

My position is this. If the US listens to the people who are obsessed with playing nicely in the sandbox, we're going to miss some opportunities that may not arise again for 100 years, or maybe never. George is no nuclear physicist but he is seizing opportunities (the weakened iraq is a perfect example). As i said before it may turn out to be the wrong direction but to sit around bent over with our underwear around our ankles waiting for someone else to make a move is the action of a weak country waiting for its dominance to disappear down the drain. History is full of 'past' civilizations, the US should ward off that description for awhile yet.

So yes, I support Bush regardless of his lack of gray matter. :D

And speaking of playing nicely, lets not throw sand (or mud). Bring on the critisicm but keep it civil so the mod won't have an aneurism. Or a colon spasm :: ::

My mrs wants to go to Disneyland and is not interested about US foreign policys

My gf said: "Why they not like americans?"" Probably her first inquiry ever into world politics. This show of interest just might qualify her for a future position on bush's foreign policy advisory team (SE asian adviser). :: She won't put up with much haggling. :p

Did the Taliban invade a country, moreover outside their own continent,

Yes, see the WTC story. No i'm not confusing taliban with the bin laden crowd, they were one and the same. If no taliban, then no bin laden training camps. As i recall, the entire world supported the US move against taliban, to the chagrin of the die hard 'anti-american no matter what' gang.

I also seriously doubt Thais have any sympathy for the Taliban remember those big Buddhas they destroyed?

Yes i remember what those f-----g low lifes did, they were so proud that they filmed it. I hear now that the taliban is making a comeback in afghan gov't.

Gimme a fucking break.

----------------------------

Thanks for sharing that with us ::!

Ok guys, this thread is closed, not unsurprisingly, Mai Luk, your penitence for making a looong post with absolutely nothing to do with Thailand is to find 3 thai sights, no less, you enjoyed and tell us on my "special sight" thread.

Other than that, let's not confuse an horrific crime (Al qaeda, not Taliban, BTW) that happened within 2 hours and a history of warfares on a national soil.

Suadaum, Thanks for the comment! :hug:

Archived