Moved to Thailand in November AND..things aregood!

Ok, I told you all I would keep you informed of how the move was going. Here's an update.

BOOM... found a fairly good job that I like making 8250 baht a week, plus commission if I ever make a sale. I like the job and it helps out on the money front. I found the job through networking. I have to admit, everyone that said that I would not survive long on 30000 baht a month was right. I wouldn't have wanted to stay. I think to live comfortably in Bangkok about 40,000 baht a month minimum is neccessary if you want to be somehwhat comfortable and not misirable. So my stay will be prelonged and phase two of operation Move to Thailand in November has commenced. It is now time to look for a way to make US dollars in THailand.

The initial shock of Bangkok is over, I am learning the ropes fast, mainly on how to get around. The Sky Train is a huge plus, very easy to understand.

My biggest problem and largest frustration is my inability to speak Thai. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to speed up this process without paying an arm and leg for schooling?

Part of the second phase is also to move out of the High Tech Towers apt complex. I was paying a for a very cheap place there and hope to move to an apartment around 6-8 thousand baht. I need to be near the Sky Train, and I'd really like to live on THong Lo although anyplace would be considered as long as it is a convenient travel to my job, which is right near the ASOK station. PM me if you have any leads please.

I must say that reading this board has helped me tremedously. I've been very protective and have kept my guard up which I have found is neccessary in Bangkok. In the first month I have been hit up for about 8 scams, been asked to borrow money from people numerous times, been worked over by a bar girl for money, all of this which could have been very damaging has been minimized due to being aware by the help of this board. I feel I have been lucky, and luck is the residue of preparation.

I find many faranges here are very hard to get to know. People seem much friendlier on the internet. I do hope in time to learn to cook Thai food. If anyone is up for showing the ropes on that subject I will be more than happy to supply the beer for the occasion.

I do have to say that some of he best food I have had has been up here in Chang Mai. Man, can these people cook. There's some damn good German grub here also.

Ok that's it. This is ending up to be one of the best adventures I have ever had. People who are thinking about moving here, I would have to say...just do it. BUT BRING MONEY.

Happy New Years ALL.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I have been enrolled in Thai language school, I have recently realized that a talking dictionary would be a great asset.

One of the guys in my language school has a Sony Clie PDA and downloaded a dictionary from the internet. This particular dictionary includes lookup using transliteration which seems like a bit plus for people just starting out.

I looked at a couple of talking dictionaries in stores that were very nice but did not include transliteration.

Would you know if it is possible to avoid spending a couple of $hundred to get a PDA and still have a dictionary with transliteration? Thanks for any ideas!

Apartment suggestion: sukhumvit soi 41 'River Court' and or 'River Place'. Basic apartment 6500 baht. 8000 baht with cable tv - cnn, hbo, star movies, mtv, bbc, fridge, hot water. The building is not the nicest but you can go with a six month lease allowing you to find a better spot. Located 5 mins from Phrom Pong BTS stop, also 3 min from the 'topps' supermarket at soi 41. 30 min walking distance to soi cowboy, 40 baht in a taxi at 2:00 am. 10 min walk to emporium soi 24, shopping, theatres, burger king, you can connect to the internet from your room but only for 30 minute intervals -5 baht for a local call plus whatever internet card you get. This place was key in my transition to life in BKK.

Learning thai: I got a lonely planet phrasebook and 'memorized' a good number of phrases, then I got some index cards and sat down with a bargirl and scripted out each consonent and vowel on one side and it's corresponding sound [phonetic], name [phonetic], and words it was used in [just a couple of examples] on the flip side. I carried the phrasebook and cards everywhere i went and used the flashcards in bars. Bar girls were really helpful with my learning of the alphabet and pronunciation, as time passed something clicked and I began to be able to put together thoughts, sentences, and eventually I could actual express myself. I will never be completely thai-literate but I can read and write some. the key is to NOT TALK ENGLISH. Go to places where english is a no go and use the book. You will feel stupid at times but as your vocabulary increases there will be days when you don't need the book at all.

The one problem is that you will learn expressions and phrases that will indicate to upper class thai's that you are spending a good deal of time in the issan or with a bargirl. This can be a problem at work. I never took a class and I get by OK with my thai. Whatever you do, do it, becuase it opens up a whole different bangkok.

Hi,

"Even though I have been enrolled in Thai language school, I have recently realized that a talking dictionary would be a great asset."

Uh... actually that was not the kind I was talking about. When I said a 'walking talking dictionary' I meant a Thai girl.

Having a girlfriend who speaks barely any English is probably one of the best ways to quickly learn Thai.

Sanuk!

There are loads of apartments around Thong Lor station. The best way's probably to just walk around the area, look in, and ask. I used to live in Suk Soi 38 and commute to Asok station daily (to go to Somchart Thai Language School)- lots of apartments, all price ranges. E.g. Soi 36, first or second sub soi on right - Pacific Apartments. Tons of them. Just walk around. Also, there's a language school just next to the opening of Suk Soi 38 - Thong Lor school, recommended by BangkokPhil on his website some time ago.

By the way, the advice on getting a girl to help with the language could also apply to the food. I used to live with a great cook.. Mmmm - I'm getting nostalgic now... :p

Archived