No more automatic visa-upon-entry in Indonesia

gobbledonk

ok cool $25 for 30days is slightly more than cambo charges, but I still hope they cancel it in the last minute ::

the 'fiscal' charges artview mentions sounds very bad, but hey who would wanna leave indo anyways :p

would that count also for citizens going on holiday showing a return ticket :dunno:

my first trip to Asia I flew into denpasar(bali) & exited JKT having crossed java mostly by bus & partly by boat(river)?

surely the ride was very very rough going, but hey we we're young adventurous backpackers then & loving it! :rolleyes:

come to think of it I guess the last stretch from bogor to jkt was by train actually ;)

don't really fancy doing that bus trip again, but I did enjoy visiting jkt, sub & dps by garuda flight on biz last year :neener:

but seek comfort in the though that thousands of people battle the java roads every day & actually survive ;)

be it by car, bus, taxi, bemo, foot, bicycle, scooter etc....

Fiscal

Children 12 an under exempt

Persons with KITAS (the visa used for most expats working in ID) and others staying more than 75 or 90 days (I forget) are required to pay the fiscal departure tax.

The fee is IDR 1 million leaving from Jakarta and Bali but less elsewhere. I've been using a class B visa for the past few years and I have never been asked to pay it.

Bus from Jakarta

The first time I went to Indonesia my base was in Yogykarta so I have been from there to Jakarta, and Back, and from there to Bali and back. The roads are always crowded and always bad so Jakarta Bandung and then multiply should do it. Frankly I enjoy a clean bus more than a private car as long as the bus doesn't run off the road. We had to put a snorkel on our muffler last year because we got caught in floods coming back from the sailing club in West Java. Buses fair better in flooding and there are always lots of hands to push.

Hi Adik,

The fee is IDR 1 million leaving from Jakarta and Bali but less elsewhere. I've been using a class B visa for the past few years and I have never been asked to pay it.

Thanks, Adik - valuable information.

It will be interesting to see IG's reactions to the quiet town I call home in April - 10 days of no traffic, minimal crowds - will she go stir-crazy ?

She may. Traveling in Ireland and some parts of the US my wife has been heard to say look at all this unused space, what a waste. I spent my youth in a home where the only time we locked the door was if we went out of town, and even then we usually left the backdoor opened.

The village where my old man lives in Ireland has about 40 families in it and my wife just about pissed herself when she came out of the bathroom and the post man was in the kitchen warming up his thermos. I tried to explain but she just couldn't accept that a thief wouldn't remove thier shoes before, giving a tap on the door before letting himself in, say hello and then put the mail on the table, nor would a thief be dressed in a postal uniform (most of the time).

So your friend will likely notice the traffic or the lack of traffic, but she may also feel like cars are moving frightenly fast.

she may also feel like cars are moving frighteningly fast

LOL ! They were moving pretty fast as her brother tailgated various folk on the freeway on our return trip from Bandung - the only people who overtook us were in Beemers and Mercs : not bad for a fully-laden 4WD. I still think Indonesia could do worse than hiring him as a driver on the National Stunt Team ::

I am hoping the fact that she has already visited Sydney (as well as several Asian cities) will lessen the culture shock, but I'm sure its the little things which we take for granted that will surprise her. All part of the fun of introducing someone to a new country - for once, I get to be the local :grinyes:

My wife usually has three issues

1. The idea of millions of people passing through their days with poop and toilet paper stuck to their arses hangs over her thoughts on bad days.

2. It is impossible to find sugar sufficiently sweet anywhere outside of Indonesia.

3. Where can you find the stinkiest shrimp paste.

Archived