Pattaya bus station ripoff

ALHOLK

Happened to me once too, but at Ekamai coming to Pattaya.

In another thread I mentioned a scam at the duty free shop at Bangkok airport .. the girls pocketing the discount that should have been the customer's by not putting the items through the till and presenting a receipt.

Gotta watch 'em!

nothing to do with LOS. happens everywhere, these are little annoyances that can pop on any traveler who lets his guard down. Indeed, you were outsmarted by a semi-litterate. Why would this warrant a post on the board (WARNING US!)? I hope you have more contented days worth talking about.

Hi!

Yesterday I went to BKK for a day trip. When on the bus it struck me that the change I recieved was 100 baht short.

In LOVS one has to be on the lookout for thieves everywhere and all the time.

The money isn't extremely important. It the fact that these semilitterate fuckwits think thay are smarter than me that pisses me off.

regards

ALHOLK

Originally posted by ALHOLK:

" ... the fact that these semilitterate fuckwits think thay are smarter than me that pisses me off."

They were in this case ...

Hi!

quote:

They were in this case ...

It doesn't require a superior intelligence to steal from someone off guard anymore than it takes major fighting skills to knock out a heavy weight champion with an iron rod while he's looking the other way.

The reason I posted was that I think all of us need an occasional remainder that the smiles in many cases are just a mask.

regards

ALHOLK

I had a scam pulled on me at a money exchange place, there used to be a van parked outside times square.The guy gave me the chit to sign before he filled in the details then gave me the cash.

Being a bit hungover it took a while for it to sink in that what he filled in after meant I was 500 baht short.

I made sure he saw me writing down the name of the bank and the van number before I confronted him, this was about 20 mins later and I expected him to act dumb. Luckily he thought better of it and gave me 500 almost as soon as I approached him.

I'm sure there are plenty of tourist scams against people in London and everywhere else but it's never nice to fall victim yourself in LOS. -peter

quote:

Hi!

In LOVS one has to be on the lookout for thieves everywhere and all the time.

The money isn't extremely important. It the fact that these semilitterate fuckwits think thay are smarter than me that pisses me off.

regards

ALHOLK

quote:

Hi!

The reason I posted was that I think all of us need an occasional remainder that the smiles in many cases are just a mask.

regards

ALHOLK

For Christ's sake, how can you be so bitter and trivial (smile vs mask) about a 100 bahts scam that happens anywhere. Try a side/part of Thailand where tourists don't come in throngs, you may have a refreshing traveling experience. Not directed to you personaly: but i sense too many times that posters are always feeling cheated and belittled or waiting to be, as if staying in Thailand was an ordeal of constant annoyances. Why come, in that case? For the sex only? Then, that maybe why many thais only see the wallet in the farang. And they are damned right. Stop whining for a few bahts, please....

quote:

Yesterday I went to BKK for a day trip. When on the bus it struck me that the change I recieved was 100 baht short.

Alholk,

This is a well known scam. I have heard reports about it several times. It almost happened to me as well, but I was paying attention. What makes it so tricky is that they actually count your change out loud, so you wouldn't bother to count it yourself. Very clever!

Cheers,

SOONGMAK

P.s: No need to get paranoid though.

Hi!

pattaya127

I wasn't implying that I was bitter over the loss of hundred baht.

I have traveled outside tourist areas and I know that most Thai people are friendly and at least among the poor people they are also mostly honest. Unfortunately my Thai is very limited to say the least so when I come to Thailand after a year of hard work I opt for a vacation place where I can live an easy life.

A friend that has lived in Thailand for many years and is fluent in the language has told me that the Thais cheat and steal from eachother just as much as from tourists/expats.

If sex was the only reason to come I could just as well go to Tallin. It is less than an hour by air or about 20 hours by ferry from where I live.

I have a feeling that you are one of those board members that can't stand to have your picture of Thailand dented by criticism.

regards

ALHOLK

P.S. I think that the Khmers of Cambodia are much friendlier than the Thais. Quite like the Thais when I came here the first time for nearly 20 years ago.

Archived