Pattaya bus station ripoff

ALHOLK

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

Stop whining for a few bahts, please....[/QB]

I agree with ALHOlK, pattaya127.

The rule here is that on holiday anywhere we tend to loose feeling of precaution. From ALHOK it's a reminder a minor scam can happen anywhere in Thailand or abroad, mainly in cities.

And it is an annoyance having this scammed feeling wherever you go. And yes, positive experiences are legion as well.

Just stay awake ALL the time.

Soetimes there is nothing you can do about it:

I arrived by bus in Nakhon Sri Thammarat, wanted to go to Grand Palace hotel, Thanon Pak Nakhon. Took a songteaw who dropped me somewhere, indicating I should take an other songteaw heading in another direction. Asked the driver for Grand Palace and stating address again. Went out of town and dropped me at Lotus Twin towers. Useless tried to explain this was not Grand Palace. Took an other songtaew back, mentionning Grand Park again. Drove with passengers to my earlier departure place, turrned back again to pass by Twin Lotus hotel, turned left into town 2 km further, finally dropped me at Grand Palace and requested 50 baht for the "private ride" in his songteaw.

Sorry for your opinion pattaya127, but that's a scam. Later that day I discoverred it was a 10 minutes walk from the hotel to the songtaew pick-up place. I was with my gf who explained in Thai where we were heading. She had no clue the Twin Towers was NOT the hotel I wanted and did not understand why I got upset. ARRRGGG, try to explain something to a Thai.

Her final comment was it was all my fault because I pronounced "Thanon Pak Nakhon" wrongly: Pak with a long aa.

I should have prepared my arival in town more thouroughly and checked the hotel location in my guide. But then why did I have my gf with me?

Conclusion: they are more a pain than a help in unknown places.

I do have a ton of other examples, but this one will suffice?

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

quote:

Originally posted by ALHOLK:

Hi!

pattaya127

I wasn't implying that I was bitter over the loss of hundred baht.

P.S. I think that the Khmers of Cambodia are much friendlier than the Thais. Quite like the Thais when I came here the first time for nearly 20 years ago.

1)well, you had said semi-litterate fuckwits, so i sensed some anger/despising

2)i bitch about these annoyances as much as you when they happen, rest assured, i just don't think they warrant such an angry post

3)Cambodia is a moving travel experience, no doubt, and tourism/westernization may have changed the genuineness of many thai people forever. Who's to blame? Thais or western tourists? What about Cambodia in 20 years when Angkor wat will have become the asian Dysneyland, and km11 will have become the new NEP/patpong?

4) I insist that you tell us about some experience you enjoyed on this trip.

Cheers

[ July 22, 2001: Message edited by: pattaya127 ]

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

nothing to do with LOS. happens everywhere, these are little annoyances that can pop on any traveler who lets his guard down.

True. True. Last week I had a cab driver in Las Vegas try to short change me $10 with a little slight of hand trick.

Always count your change!

Hi!

pattaya127

You sensed correctly but the anger was not about the loss of 100 baht which I also tried to make clear in the post. The anger was about not beaing able to relax even in a bus station.

quote:

What about Cambodia in 20 years when Angkor wat will have become the asian Dysneyland,

I'm real glad that I went there before that happens as I agree with you completely that it will happen.

quote:

I insist that you tell us about some experience you enjoyed

Overall this has been one of my best trips to Thailand ever. I'm not much for writing trip reports so I'll just outline my trip sofar.

On my third day in Pattaya I met a girl that I have known for a couple of years. Before she has always refused to go LT. This trip she has been with me for nearly 5 weeks and will stay until I go home. She's very beautiful and has a nice personality. She's not all that great in the sack but hell I'm over 50 I don't need wild sex three times a day. She is also refreshingly honest. She has clearly stated that I can send her money if I want but that won't stop her from going with other men when I'm not here.

I have also met up with som good Swedish friends and had a great time.

If the pro's didn't outweigh the con's I would not come back here every year. As I stated in a earlier post reasonably priced sex can be had on the other side of the Baltic sea and Russian ladies are in no way second to their Thai counterparts.

regards

ALHOLK

[ July 24, 2001: Message edited by: ALHOLK ]

Hey I got shortchanged for TWO WHOLE FUCKING DOLLARS once in LA! Im a semi literate fukwit! Im never going there again!

Relax AL, try Mexico for the essense of shortchangin...or maybe the street vendors on the Arbat in Moscow..yep an old Babushka tried to beat me for 50 WHOLE RUBLES ONCE (GASP) just becasue she heard me speak english...a quick correction and a yob tvayu mat set the old crone straight let me tell you.....

Archived