Skydive Saturday

Flashermac

Saw a poster today -- all in Thai, naturally -- announcing another Guinness record jump at Sanam Luang this Saturday, 24 Jan. The last time it was on the King's 72d birthday. This time aparently just to beat that. (I think they had about 172 last time.) Forgot to note the time, but it's probably around midday.

Last time was quite spectacular. With the modern chutes, you can steer quite effectively and jumpers were zipping around the sky obviously having a blast before the headed down to Sanam Luang. Really makes you wish you were up there with them. I'll see if I can find some more about it for an update. Hadn't seen anything about it in English yet.

As you may know, our buddy, Darel (DollHouse owner) is participating in this. He did the last one as well.

I had heard that the PM was also going to jump, but that was in November/December and I have not heard any more about that. <insert chute packing gag here>

Cheers,

SD

sfinkz said:

widely regarded as the world center in the chuteless category.

All Russian instructors I hear.

Of couse You wouldn't want to overshoot and end up in all those spires in the Grand Palace.

"Yeah Mum he came down and the spire went right up his..!"

"Rectum?"

"Sure did" :eek:

Just for the record, they made it!

http://thaivisa.com/index.php?514&backPID=58&tt_news=677

672 freefall skydivers set world record in Bangkok

Skydiving record broken in Thailand

BANGKOK: Some 672 skydivers from 42 countries broke the world mass freefall skydiving record here Saturday, jumping from six planes and landing in the capital's royal fields Sanam Luang.

Skydivers calling themselves the world team along with 250 members of Thailand's royal armed forces smashed the last record that they set themselves five years ago in Thailand, when 572 divers made the jump.

"Six C-130 Hercules flew above Sanam Luang this morning and all the jumpers exited and descended to the ground about 15 minutes later," team spokeswoman Karina Willerup said.

"Everyone's celebrating. There was a lot of tension in getting everyone down at the same time," she said, adding that the dive was being carried out to mark the 72nd birthday of Thailand's Queen Sirikit.

Judges from the Federation Aeronautique Internationale officially verified the record, she said. From Tuesday 372 members of the team will also attempt to break the world record for the largest free-fall formation in the northeastern city of Khorat.

Source: KH

Archived