Prediction of Mar 1 outcome regarding closing time

Belem

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"666666"]If it does, like most things Thai, it'll just be "fudged" and overlooked, business as usual.[/color]

The sad fact is that the nightlife in BKK just ain't like it used to be a couple years ago. (And before anyonw states the obvious, neither am I.)

Even though I was not a big fan of having to dodge flying darts or having a pussy cough cigarette smoke in my face, it was more fun when things were on the edge.

I'd rather have the girls back in the go-gos, than hanging out in the parking lots.

You only have to go down Suckhumvit and see the effects of earlier closing... The grace and other places have had this effect.

only 3 years ago nana was empty outside ..take a look now.

This is true. The Nana Hotel parking lot and lower part of Sukhumvit between 2 am and 3:30 am is amazing. There are so many people on the side walks that there is hardly room to walk.

I don't think this was an intended consequence of strictly enforcing the 2 am closing time. Obviously it would be easier to excercise age/drug controls if people were inside some place, such as the Angels disco in Nana Hotel (which certainly does check for ID cards and does not allow girls to bring handbags in.) It just goes to show how things can go awry with misguided and impractical policies.

I will post a reply to my earlier message now that the government admits that Thailand has bird flu and it is front page news in today's International Hearld Tribune (NY Times). From today's Bangkok Post (Bird Flu Could Affect Tourism), you will see an article starting with the following:

The bird flu outbreak could end up ravaging the tourism industry on a scale rivalling the impact of last year's Sars outbreak unless it is swiftly contained, according to travel experts.

The tourism industry could face another major obstacle if human transmission is detected, said John Koldowski, managing director of the strategic intelligence centre for the Bangkok-based Pacific Asia Travel Association (Pata).

''If the disease begins to be transmitted between humans, we would obviously go back to the dark phase (when the industry was hit hard by Sars),'' he said.

Not saying this will necessarily inhibit silly policies that discourage tourism, but with Thailand counting on a 23% increase in tourists and nearly a one-third increase in tourism revenue as part of its projections for the 2004 economy (TAT Statistics), you would hope to see more rational policies when it comes to closing times.

Things that will happen before the Midnight closing discussion rises again:

1. Chumwit is found guitly of destroying Soi 10 area and sentenced to long prison term and reparations

2. Duangchalerm Yoobamrung pleads guilty to murder to spare the victims family further grief

3. All meter taxis get GPS trackers to prevent crime

4. I have 100 % faith in another Thai girl.

5. Bangkok traffic problems are solved.

Based on that, your March trip is safe.

I think rovineye is right. Since we seem to occassionally get into debates here about how important the p4p scene is to Thai tourism (with some arguing it is no longer that important) and I just put up the link for the TAT statistics website, I decided to throw out a few interesting calculations from the government's own figures:

In January of 2003, TAT recorded 296,166 visitors from Europe. 174,179 were men, and 121,987 were women. In other words, the number of male visitors substantially outnumbered woman visitors.

From the U.S., there were 33,553 male visitors and 20,159 female visitors. In other words, a third more male visitors than female visitors.

In the case of Japan, there were 69,057 male visitors compared with 37,513 female visitors. Again, a substantial difference in favor of male visitors.

In response, perhaps one might argue that the p4p visitors are the cheap charlies? This is might seem like an appealing argument to support the claim that p4ps tend to be cheap charlies because there are obviously no statistics breaking tourists into p4p vs. 'temples only' categories, but it runs contrary to common-sense and the visible expansion of the industry. If p4p was on the decline, we wouldn't see three times as many clubs and venues on Sukhumvit as we did nine years ago. And consider this: the biggest spenders tend to be the Japanese and Americans, and in both cases, male visitors substantially outnumber female visitors. Hmm...

Will there be earlier closing times? Not if the powers-that-be care about the tourism industry.

Archived