Grinning from Ear to Ear in the Land of Smiles

zanemay

Cent,

You probably don't want to get into this discussion, but you started it, so as one of the people that at times have posted critical reviews of Zane's trip reports I feel obligated to respond to your words: "There just seem to be too many cunts now that want to impose their morals and their ideas as to what is permissable when visiting the LOS on us"

Zane's (and some other members) posts seem to elicit a response in some people that have nothing to do with a judgement about sex tourists or what is permissible in Thailand. Ranger's exploits, for example, are highly entertaining and have rarely, if ever, provoked the response that Zane's do. I think this is due to way that Zane continually includes patronizing commentary about the girls, his reactions to their behaviour, the prices they charge him, and what he does with them that, for lack of better way of saying it, just rubs some people the wrong way. If something I have posted in the past comes across as a personal attack, then I apologize for that, but at least in my case, it is not meant that way, it is just an attempt to express an opinion on the mind-set displayed in the post. If someone post that in his or her opinion, the story shows a sordid disregard for another person's humanity, that is not a personal attack, a personal attack is "You are a sordid individual". A fine line maybe, but a line nevertheless.

By no means do I want Zane or any other member to stop posting their stories, but if people are allowed to post "you must be the slickest Mo' Fo' on this board" then I should be allowed to post my opinion that I don't think so. After all, this board and this forum is not just about stroking people's egos; it is about a free exchange of ideas and opinions (in a benevolent dictatorship environment ::).

Maybe the solution is to close all trip report post and not allow responses. :down:

TH

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TH,

"You probably don't want to get into this discussion, but you started it,"

Hahaha. You're right! I don't really, but let's continue the discussion. :-)

"so as one of the people that at times have posted critical reviews of Zane's trip reports I feel obligated to respond to your words"

Okay. So what I want to know is WHY you or others feel it is necessary to impose your values and opinions on what YOU think is the correct way to approach the sanuk scene on another? I see nothing outrageous in most of what Zane and others say here in their reports. Most of what they write seems about par for the course with a lot of guys playing in the P4P scene. I call them the "realists". They seem to be able to justify what they are doing in their own minds and hearts in a way they are comfortable with it all. They are the ones who usually don't "fall in love" with the bar girls, over pay for the services, don't send money back to the girls once they are gone, and try to get the most for their money when aquiring the ladies services, and try to pay what THEY believe is a reasonable amount. And as far as I can see this is up to them, it's how they approach the sex scene. It's what works for them. And it probably is the smartest way to approach the whole scene really. It's not very romantic. It's all about the sex, right? How many times can I have sex with the style of lady I want to have sex with for the best possible price. For these types of guys it's all mostly just a business transaction. It's not the way myself, and others, approach the scene, but hey, who the hell are we to judge others?

"Zane's (and some other members) posts seem to elicit a response in some people that have nothing to do with a judgement about sex tourists or what is permissible in Thailand."

How so? To me this seems like a judgement call. What is it that provokes this response? We are not the protectors of the fallen angels are we? Every working lass has the ability, at least the ones I've encountered in the farang P4P scene, to say no. To say I want more than you are offering me. To say I don't want to go with you because you are an asshole, or I don't like the way you behave toward me, or how you act toward me. Don't they? It seems to me these guys aren't having any problems finding companionship. So who are we to protest and admonish and "take them to task" for what they write in their reports. Just because some of us don't agree with their style of approaching the sex scene? It all seems a bit silly to me how worked up some people get. AND it causes people NOT to write up their trip reports and place them here, if they know that they will be attacked by the guardians of the "Truth and the way", at least the truth and the way as they see it. I find it arrogant that anyone here thinks they can tell someone else what to say, what to do, what to pay, what to write. And I feel some here take this stuff way too seriously, and personal. As though Thailand is THEIR Thailand. Some here have become way too possessive about the whole subject of the LOS.

"Ranger's exploits, for example, are highly entertaining and have rarely, if ever, provoked the response that Zane's do. I think this is due to way that Zane continually includes patronizing commentary about the girls, his reactions to their behaviour, the prices they charge him, and what he does with them that, for lack of better way of saying it, just rubs some people the wrong way."

I agree that Ranger's stuff is excellent, and would love to see more reports and stories here by him. BUT, I also like to see Zane's reports too. I like his writing style, his honesty and truthfulness about what he does while in the LOS. And want to see him post his reports here, for those that DO like his posts. You can't like everyone's stuff. So when you see something is not to your taste, JUST SKIP IT AND DON"T READ IT! Easy. No need to go on about it. No need to take the poster to task for what you don't like about it. (And usually it's not the post that gets attacked, but the poster himself, and that is what I disagree with.)

"If something I have posted in the past comes across as a personal attack, then I apologize for that,"

Thank you, and please refrain from doing so! :-)

"but at least in my case, it is not meant that way, it is just an attempt to express an opinion on the mind-set displayed in the post."

Ahhhh, that's what they all say! :-) This might fly if it was only one post by a poster a person took to task, but what I see is certain [people always spouting off on the posters they disagree with, IN EVERY POST they write. It almost seems like they stalk the members posts, so they can jump on him each and every time. That's bullshit!

"If someone post that in his or her opinion, the story shows a sordid disregard for another person's humanity, that is not a personal attack, a personal attack is "You are a sordid individual". A fine line maybe, but a line nevertheless."

But really TH, this is just an opinion, and opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. What I wonder is what exactly does these opinions have to add to the post, to the story, to the thread. Nothing usually it seems to me.

"By no means do I want Zane or any other member to stop posting their stories, but if people are allowed to post "you must be the slickest Mo' Fo' on this board" then I should be allowed to post my opinion that I don't think so."

Why? One childish response deserves another? :-)

"After all, this board and this forum is not just about stroking people's egos; it is about a free exchange of ideas and opinions (in a benevolent dictatorship environment )."

I know it's not about stroking egos, but it is also not about causing dissension and problems and disagreements for damned good reason that I usually can see. It's just bullshit really. Argument for arguments sake. It does not make the board, the thread, or the discussion better and more interesting, unless you're the type who like the arguments. (Not you personally, but anyone doing so.)

"Maybe the solution is to close all trip report post and not allow responses."

I'll only do this if a poster requests it. I still think most threads and posts don't cause problems and most people refrain from getting personal and just skip stuff they don't like or agree with.

Later TH,

Cent

Hi Cent,

"By no means do I want Zane or any other member to stop posting their stories, but if people are allowed to post "you must be the slickest Mo' Fo' on this board" then I should be allowed to post my opinion that I don't think so."

Why? One childish response deserves another? :-)

It seems to me that you missed the point on this one.

I agree with TH that if taps on the shoulders are distributed, somebody who has a different opinion should be able to say so.

Hi Cent,

I agree with you that some people have and enjoy their own experiences and there's no need for anybody to judge them or disagree with whatever they like doing. It's their life, experience, time, money etc..nobody has the right to tell them what to do or not to do.

But I do think that one should be allowed to disagree with the comment(s) such stories receive and that's what ThaiHome was talking about.

I remember Zane getting a lot of criticism NOT on one of his stories but on his VERY OWN comments on his story, saying that it was a real love story etc. In this case I believe a poster may, or should be allowed to, show their disagreement on someone else's opinion.

BTW, in several posts of yours you have called some people cunts, self-righteous assholes, morons, anti-whore mongering priests, "negative neds" (your favorite) without calling them by their names, thankfully, but that doesn't justify anything. It can get pretty ugly here if people start naming other posters like you're doing now without addressing anybody in particular. This also should not be allowed on this board IMHO.

I very much respect and understand your and your co-moderator's effort to keep it clean in here though.

"There just seem to be too many cunts now that want to impose their morals and their ideas as to what is permissable when visiting the LOS on us all."

Isnt this a bit of flaming. You are using your moderator power to make sure nobody argues with your point of view about sex tourism. And those that do argue are now called cunts. I did not see a flame in Mentors post, just that pattaya and bars are not the real Thailand.

I have found that this board is becoming more hard core. I guess all the non sex tourists have gone to thaivisa.com,

Wonder what could be causing this trend?!?!

Your self-righteous asshole, cunt, moron, anti-whore mongering priest of Bangkok, WYD

"I have found that this board is becoming more hard core. I guess all the non sex tourists have gone to thaivisa.com, "

Hardcore sex tourists here....non-sex tourists over there.....that could be a problem for occasional sex-tourists and softcore ex-pat non-tourists not to mention non-sex expat lapsed reformed sex-tourists, first time sex-tourists, tourists who just happen to have a moment of weakness and non-sex would-be sex-tourists who just enjoy reading about the exploits of real sex-tourists...... :)

You are using your moderator power to make sure nobody argues with your point of view about sex tourism. And those that do argue are now called cunts. I did not see a flame in Mentors post, just that pattaya and bars are not the real Thailand

I have found that this board is becoming more hard core. I guess all the non sex tourists have gone to thaivisa.com,

-----------------------

Whosyourdaddy,

Thank you very much for your comment. :bow::up::bow:

"I guess all the non sex tourists have gone to thaivisa.com"

Well... It's an idea.

The irony of all this is that we have umpteen places on this board where you can discuss all manner of topics. We have experts on Thai Culture, Religion, Language, and Health posting regularly. But... the core and the bottom line here is that this board is named after the Nana Plaza. The second you start damning anyone for posting a story about their experience with a Thai hooker is the second you might be happier with either Thaivisa, Lonelyplanet or Thaifluffybunny.com. In fact there are myriad sites of great quality that prohibit stories about the bar scene and hookers. There's nothing wrong with that. It just isn't the policy here. It would be insane to expect a site named after the Nana Plaza not to have any stories like this.

This site welcomes anyone who has a story to tell. It isn't going hardcore to dislike unwarrented sniping at another storyteller. There's a difference between raising a debate or discussing the actions of the storyteller within a serious discussion to simply suggesting he is somehow deficient in his choice of topic.

Don't tell us that there are better and more interesting things to write about... Show us. Tell us your story.

Just to remind you that when I (and other expats) have joined this site 5 years ago, it was called SANUK and I believe the site will also have a second name in the near future, one not so whorish and friendly towards advertizers and married guys.

Had an interesting day out last weekend and met some board members at gullivers. The entire time they talked about BJ and other BG stories. I noticed a sharp difference from when a bunch of regular guys used to meet at woodstock years ago that mainly just bitched about thais. Is this place going more hardcore? People get nailed for posting anti-whore statements that 95% of the world would agree with. I got nailed for asking about a christmas church service. And when a moderator starts calling people cunts, morons and assholes because they dont totally agree with P4P and the reputation of pattaya, there is something wrong with the nanaplaza water.

Archived