Chinatown -- ?Siamtown?

Zaad

Hi,

Why is it that a foreign city would be happy, better yet feel the need for having a so called 'Chinatown'? Tourism?...think about Paris, Amsterdam, Chicago, San Francisco, Bangkok, ... I'm sure it's a loooong list.

Anybody know about the existance of similar towns? Siamtown? :)

Mai kao jai. Do you mean ethnic enclaves in different cities around the world? If so, most cities in the States have this: Detroit (my hometown) has Greektown, Poletown, Mexican Village and Hmongtown (kinda) . Miami used to have Little Havana (now LH is the whole bloody town LOL!). There's a "Chinatown" in Las Vegas, but it really is Asiatown as all Asians are represented there (tho' the Vietnamese dominate). New York has a whole bunch. Many others...

Cheers,

SD

Mai kao jai. Do you mean ethnic enclaves in different cities around the world?

That's exactly what I mean. ;) I had trouble wording my thoughts.

I had never heard about any other town than Chinatown until your post above (Greektown, Poletown ::)

"Why is it that a foreign city would be happy, better yet feel the need for having a so called 'Chinatown'? Tourism?...think about Paris, Amsterdam, Chicago, San Francisco, Bangkok, ... "

In most cases, the tourism is just part of it. At least in San Francisco, behind the tourist facade, there actually is a real Chinatown. Ride the 30 Stockton bus on an early Saturday morning and it is pretty close to China. :p:

TH

Archived