Internet facilities in Cambodia

tilac

Hi,

Planning a trip soon to Thailand, but want to sneak out to Cambodia too for maybe a week.

I am interested to know about the use of Internet facilities over there (mainly in PP).

+ Internet cafes: location, service and price

+ ISP's: might bring a laptop so like to know if I can use that from my hotel to dailin to a local ISP.

This is maybe asked before, but I could't find anything !

Regards from tilac

Plenty of internet shops in Phnom Penh...about 40 baht/hour (price varies from place to place...just a sample). Don't know about availability of connection from hotels. Maybe more expensive places like the Intercontinental/Cambodiana? To find an internet shop, just ask at your hotel's front desk or take a look around outside. Won't be too far.

Current prices around 1500 - 2000 R / hour. So that's around 20 THB.

Speed is fine for email / surfing; I 'd say on average better than Thailand. You can plug in your laptop in a cafe.

I'm in the one next to Wagon Wheel on Sisowath. Nice view of the river over my monitor :)

Cambodia's infrastructure has much improved generally. Roads, street lighting, communications and personal security have all moved forward in the last year or so.

As said before by the others, Internet Cafes are plenty and cheap, and some of them also good. Shop around, and I suggest you avoid the cheapest (less than 1000 Riel an hour).

As for connecting Laptops in Hotel rooms: I did this on both my stays in Pnom Penh, staying in middle class Hotels. The downside is: Also local calls are rather expensive (I don't remember correctly, but I think it was 1000 - 2000 Riel a minute at the Big Luck Hotel. And prepaid internet cards are very expensive (10 US-$ for 3 Hours) and it turned out that this did not work (some problem with DHCP. I got connected but not directed to a working DNS server ...). I then used my regular provider's IPass service, but at rates around 10 an hour ........

Hope it helps!

Sunny

May be, I can add two more options:

There are now some "hotspots" in PNH available, that provide WLAN-internet-services. These can be found in the better hotels and the airport and the number is still growing. The price is comparable to prepaid ISP-cards. I used it with my WLAN-card and it worked fine.

In the better hotels is also an inhouse-service available, sometimes free. When I stayed in the Cambodiana the last time, the internet was included in a package deal for a junior suite on the club-floor (very nice rooms, btw.). This connection was fast and reliable. Otherwise, the price is about USD 5 per hour.

In Sihanoukville the internet is about double the price than in PNH (around USD 1++ per hour in a better cafe). I have no information about other places, but the tendency seems to be the more developed a city is, the cheaper the internet-cafe.

And of course, there is also the option to connect a private notebook in one of the internet-cafes. Simply connect the notebook using the LAN-card. The price is the same as for using the cafes' PC. The internet-cafés are also a very popular option for cheap international calls.

Archived