Most Disappointing Pile of Shite CD you've bought!

Fiery Jack

I was on the blower to "Smokey, Still in Chokey!" last night :bow:, and we got to discussing this topic. Have you ever, as I have, waited ages looking forward to an album coming out, rushed out on the day of release and bought (or shoplifted ::) it, ferried it home with expectant fevered brow :D, only to find that it is the biggest, most disappointing pile of tosh it's ever been your (dis)pleasure to lend your ears to? :doah: In no particular order, I recall the stomach-churning sense of letdown upon first hearing:

1) 'Lodger' by David Bowie. His follow up to the brilliant 'Heroes'/'Low' period. He'd possibly stopped taking drugs whilst making this crock of shit. Bad move. Not a single good track on it. :down:

2) 'Euroman Cometh' by Jean Jacques Burnel. The ace drug-snorting woman-hating karate-chopping Stranglers' bassist's long-awaited solo set turns out to be rambling easy-listening directionless electronic twaddle. Even worse, it turns out later he's gay. :(

3) 'Do It Yourself" by Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Hopeless follow-up to the massively essential "New Boots and Panties" debut. They say a band has five years to write their first album and five months to write their second. Here is proof. (In same file, find second albums by The Clash, Tom Robinson Band, The Jam...). ::

Over to yous...

jack :beer:

Yo Jack,

Love the new look - lol ::

One of the things which I find to be extremely rare in the world of popular music is a really good second album. Expectations being what they are after a big debut, most of the material on the follow-up is, inevitably, a rush job put out to appease the record company.

The other variable is the artists themselves. By the time an album reaches the stores, they've usually moved on artistically, which is why I prefer people like Ted Nugent who really havent changed much in 30 or so years. If you want an example of 'artistic evolution' which was totally criminal, listen to early Thin Lizzy then some of the Phil Lynott's solo stuff - Jesus H Christ ! How can someone who wrote so many classic rock'n'roll songs descend into such complete drivel.

I can only put it down to his lethal smack habit. RIP, Phil.

Heretic.

Straight off the top of me head on this miserable Monday morning...

1. Parachutes - Coldplay. Somebody put the whinging twat out of his misery (yeah, I know, I know - but they ain't Radiohead no matter how hard they try).

2. Be Here Now - Oasis. Should have been called 'I've got more charlie lads, can we put an orchestra on it and extend the track by 10 minutes?'

No doubt more will occur to me as the day wears on.

Havent bought any shite CD's in a long time since all my music nowadays is downloaded from Kazaa. :cover: but from my younger days i recall a few rotten apples:

Metallica: Load & Reload (after the black album... how could they :help:)

U2: Zooropa : Crab :onfire:

Prince: Grafitti Bridge (...and everything since):down: :down:

Archived