Is the feel of the board changing?

khunsanuk

SiLeakHunt said:

I do in some cases think that SOME of the mods ...have been a little guilty of chest beating and power mongering... I'm scared of upsetting a mod...

Hear, hear. :applause: I think mods should be shot. :: There was one cunt that used to ride around Stoke on a mauve Vespa scooter with his stinking parka and 2-tone shoes on. His nickname was "Beano" and he was a right evil bastard. Claimed he'd been an extra in Quadrophenia, but we all knew it was bullshite. He's inside now for GBH. Him and his thick mod mates pulled a knife out on me and nicked my half-bottle of Teachers when I was staggering home trollied :drunk: from the Swiller's Arms one night. I was only 14 at the time. The fact that I had my hair dyed pink and was wearing an X-Ray Spex t-shirt and ripped leather bondage trousers probably didn't help my cause much. :clown: I was wearing a button badge that said "Kill a Mod" too: that probably tipped the scales. :(

jack :help:

PS. I thought the Jam were all right, like. Some of the early stuff, anyway. :rolleyes:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the general tone of the discussion that the board is going through a natural evolution process and therefore I dunno that there is much that you or us can really do about it.

I feel that there have been a lot of new members recently or maybe sleepers who have started posting but certainly I don't recognise so many old names any more. The stats may not show a big surge in new members but it feels that way to me.

I suggest that the older members have dropped off form posting regularly because the same questions get asked over and over again and so eventually people don't 'tune in' so often. I used to log on every day when I first joined now it is only every two or three days. I am also much more selective in what I post and choose to read because I have been on the board for some time now. I tend to read posts from guys that I have met and become friends with rather than a name I have never seen before.

I'm not sure that you reallly need to do anything as the board is changing due to the changes in regular posters.

Just sit back and be proud of what you have achieved, knowing that you have brought together a huge group of like minded individuals that have made new friends thru this board.

uniformguy said:

I suggest that the older members have dropped off form posting regularly because the same questions get asked over and over again and so eventually people don't 'tune in' so often..

Yes < i agree.

I have noticed that there has not been many interesting new posts in the past few months. ( or at least the new board does not highlight the new posts (they may be lost in never never land))

-----------------------------------------------------------------

KS

I dont even know who the moderators are now since they are not labelled as they were before. But I believe one of the moderators ( link ) suggested that people move to thaivisa.com if they do not fall into their precieved view of nanaplaza.com's overall stance of thailand's nightlife.

On the internet , hits are king. The more hits, the more advertizing==== better board. Alexa.com shows that the nanaplaza.com has dropped 24000 points in the past little while

Traffic Rank for nanaplaza.com: 109,061 (-24,384)

compare that to thaivisa.com

Traffic Rank for thaivisa.com: 10,193 (-3,028)

So maybe moderators should not call people cunts, assholes and morons and suggest people to go to thaivisa.com and lonelyplanet's boards. (see zanemay's trip report)

What else could be causing this 25% DECLINE in hits in the past few months ( was ranked around 77000 the last time i checked)??

Maybe it is the goverment's stance on nighttime entertainment and the newbies are not coming???. Maybe the old expat farts are just getting bored with the repeat discussions???Maybe the moderators have something to do with it.??? Or probably other sites are popping up and taking traffic.

It is probably just a phase. I presume the board will bounce back, unless the goverment extents its crackdowns. And since we can not talk about the goverment there would be nothing to talk about ::

Suggestions:

It is not broken, dont fix it.

If it is broken , diversify. (name change, moderator change, FAQ change, more features (pictures) etc)

But since it is your baby you can decide if it is broken or not.

WYD

Yes, your board is going downhill and has been for some time. However, it's not unique to this board, I've noticed the same trend on other boards. IMO, the present governments policies to foriegners living in Thailand and clampdown on nightlife has had a knock-on effect. There is less feel good factor & more disenchantment and that is reflected in less people posting and less worthwhile reading content. None of which you can do anything about. I've got my views on the areas you can change, but don't have time to elaborate. I'll send you a PM when I get the chance.

stilll a 10x more popular site.

The word on the street is that the board is very good. I have yet to sign up and will have a look tonight ( better signs up before someone takes my name and starts making civilized posts under my name. :p)

Considering the owner of the site was ran out of thailand (rumor) during the visa scams 1.5-2 years ago the site is doing surprising well. I was surprized to find out that thaivisa was getting more hits than the Bangkokpost, bangkokchat, and stickmanbangkok.com

Most of the thailand sites are declining in hits. Might be other things on the net ( wars, bird flu, superbowl) which are taking the overall hits.

I added a link to the thread as suggested.

I visit Thaivisa.com frequently too. I do think that you are making alot of assumptions based on the data you observe. I think many people visit thaivisa because of it's pertinent and timely information concerning Thai news, visa info and such. I don't think that this neccessarily translate into them having a very popular and active FORUM. So you may be correct about the popularity of the initial site itself but you may be wrong when it comes to applying that to it's forum

a few things.....

nasty comments about the previos remarks some one made,

you can make a statement about what was said without making it a personal blast,

Posts which totally hijack a thread , I asked about airfares from LAX ,

it ends with a war between 2 other parties with nothing to do about the thread.

and as someone else said "cheap charlies" there are people that stay at 500baht place and 4000 first class hotels,

we all have differnt budgets so have to do what we can with it,

to me "cheap Charlie" term started with bar owners trying to shame you into spending more.

lets just all spend what we can and have FUN

I have been very grateful for the info and advise I get here,

even if it does get off topic too much

FUN FUN FUN .....till here daddy takes her T-bird away

Archived