2 Q: What's the fastest Internet connection...

Straycat

...that I can get in BKK, installed in my house? That's if price would no issue. [That's Question 1]

[Question 2] Unfortunately price is prolly an issue. What would then be the best deal on ADSL in Bangkok? -- I need the fastest possible, no half-measures.

I would be grateful for any input, especially on Q1 above. For you guys working for companies/schools in Bangkok, what sort of Internet connection do you get in your office?

Because ADSL slows down with the number of people on the line, I would vote for a dedicated ISDN line as the best value. Line pulled to your house is B3K. Modem & accessories are ~B8K. Monthly is B1K with a B1500 setup from LoxInfo. Yes, this is only 128/64 but it is consistant and therefore a true speed, not the "up to" speeds quoted for ADSL.

ADSL can be up to 512/256, but costs B6500/month for that and no guarantee that you will get those speeds. Yes, there are others packages, but the cheap onesd (B600-800/month unlimited) are for inside Thailand servers only -- directed at Ragnarok game players I think. Can't see any other reason for a package like that!

Someday the prices will come down, but for now ADSL is stupidly expensive IMHO.

Cheers,

SD

>Because ADSL slows down with the number of people on the line, I would vote for a dedicated ISDN line.

Actually, it depends on the distance from the exchange (thus number of people before you). If you are within 1km, it should keep close to it's advertised speed.

If there is a direct line already and is ADSL capable, I would go for ADSL. That way both voice and data can share the same line simultaneously.

As pointed here before, you will benefit from it greatly if you are visiting Thai sites. As you go out of Thai (say, nanaplaza.com) you share the same throttle as everybody else and the speed won't be much different than dial up.

(Just ordered ADSL link for home, 45Mbits per second (yes, forty five mega bits), wireless, all equipment rented so they can replace it with faster gear when the time comes.

Price: 1500Baht per month. Location: Tokyo. Provider: Yahoo. A web phone line comes with it too)

"Actually, it depends on the distance from the exchange (thus number of people before you). If you are within 1km, it should keep close to it's advertised speed."

Doah! Yeah, that's it. I was thinking cable modem. Thanks for that.

BTW, you suck! :neener: Wireless 45M internet for B1500...sheezh!

Cheers,

SD (still plugging away on a 46.6K dialup)

I'm moving to Tokyo :bow:. That's a nice deal.

High speed internet in Thailand is garbage. The govt required all providers to offer broadband for less than 1000 baht a month this year and I think they all do now--provided your idea of the internet is Thai sites and get taken to the cleaners for straying. Some let you access international 30 hours a month with their packages--that really means once a day due to how their metering works. But if you stay connected you pay approx 10,000 baht a month even if all you are doing is leaving outlook or a chat program up!!! So now Thailand proudly boasts to itself and the world it has low cost broadband. I have to wonder how they will market REAL broadband if they ever provide it instead of the fake packages like now.

The thing that annoys me is the providers keep insisting there is no way they can provide low cost ADSL to sites outside Thailand through their junky, slow, lousy connection to the outside world that goes down all the time (just given all that I can't imagine how it can be so expensive in the first place). Well guess what, they have 56K dialup for 300 baht a month to be connected all the time and use as much data transfer as you want; domestic or international doesn?t matter. Since 256K ADSL is the speed of 5 modems, why isn't it 1500 baht a month (300*5)??? I've asked and received silence as the response.

yeah...I'm a bit worried...I sort of know there's mostly crap offered. But I'm thinking....what about the big corporations, advertising agencies and printing companies in Thailand. -- What are they using?

I could care less about surfing Thai sites. Is there an option for only foreign sites for a reduced price? :: Nah, seriously...surfing in itself is secondary. Think commercial solutions. I may need to move large files from here to there. A modem won't do it. ISDN maybe. ADSL preferrably...but perhaps there is something even better out there?

You gotta love web pages that say "call for price" and don't have a telephone number anywhere on the page. TIT indeed. Against my better judgement I decided to call them to get a handle on the fine print. I went through a total of 5 phone calls to finally get a response "we don't offer DSL for home". And this despite their web page laying out all the home packages which I pointed out to them! They only offered me 56K dialup. WTF

Archived